Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vega Steering Box

Dutch

Allegedly the Chevy Vega steering box interchanges with the Powr-Max. According to my Hollander Interchange, the number is 1022. The 1022 steering box is found on the following: Astre ’75-‘77 Monza ’75 early – ’79 4 cyl Starfire ’76 early - ‘79 4 cyl Sunbird ‘76 early – ‘79 4 cyl Vega ’71-’77 (except ’75-‘76 4-122 Cosworth) The Vega ’71-’74 had optional power steering. The Hollander number for that power steering box is 1023. All other vehicles used a different power steering box. You can call any salvage yard that uses the Hollander Interchange (most do) and ask if they have a 1022 manual box, or 1023 power steering box.

Dutch, With the Simplicity stuff lasting so much longer than the automotive counterparts those guy's in the list are going to be as hard to find as the Powermax. Most yards around here have crushed all of the pre '80's units. Ron

Ron, You're right. Pre '80 cars are getting tough to find. But, I'll bet there are still more around in salvage yards than there are junked Powr-Maxs. Only posted the info for the PowrMax owners' FYI.

Dutch, Is your book saying that Vega's had power steering? During the last power steering discussion I contacted companies whose only business was rebuilding power steering and was told I was looking for something that didn't exist. I believed that some Vega's has power steering but gave up after so many negative responses. Some of these companies have been around for a long long time. I'll try again.MadManX

Dutch, I restarted my search for the Vega powersteering gearboxes and came up with a source. I got quotes for the boxes rebuilt with lifetime warranty of $200. The owners name is Chip and sounded like real down to earth individual and knowledgeable. I've included a link to his web site so anyone can call if they like. If you have a bad gearbox you can have him rebuild it and save money since the above price includes a core charge for the box. Thanks Dutch for restarting this....MadManX[A href='http://www.powersteering.com/faqs/']http://www.powersteering.com/faqs/[/a]

Woody, According to my book, the Vega DID offer a power steering option. Supposedly the part number for the assembly is GM #7816444. Maybe a Chevy dealer could confirm. As for companies being around a "long long time", that never impresses me. Just like people, some have 25 years experience (constantly learning), others have one year experience 25 times (never get any smarter).

I agree Dutch about the long long time impressions. Most people if they drive by an old man in coveralls cutting a piece of wood with a hand saw they might say " Look at that old time carpenter, he must be a real craftsman." In actuality he may be just an old man cutting a piece of wood and can't follow a straight line... Sometimes as a GC I had new subs tell me how long they had been doing a particular job for 20-30 years. They never liked being told they were doing it wrong for 20-30 years...

Thanks Dutch that is good news,i know i need something in the front end. Now that the good weather is here i can have a better look. You have a good one.---Ron B