Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

steve-wis

Finally got to blow some snow!

steve-wis

Over the last few days we got about 3 - 3.5 inches of snow, hardly a workout but at least I got to try out the new to me 918H with blower.  A few observations:

1.  the cab I will pick up next weekend is needed here in Iowa!  A calm day still seems to have 10-15 mph winds, and of course all in the wrong direction.

2.  I had mentioned in an earlier post that this blower runs much faster than the one on my T816.  I love the faster speed!  The slower one would often plug when it had just a little snow feeding into it, but this one showed no signs of plugging at all.

3.  I LOVE blowing snow with a hydro and hydraulic lift!  Cuts the time in half, and it is  so easy!  My T816 is gear shift with vari-drive and electric lift.  I always thought that was a great combination, and I do still like it, but I am now a convert to hydro tranny for snowblowing.

4.  Had two issues:  first, tractor, in -5 degree garage, did not start and needed starter fluid- I need to get heat in there!  And second, the idler pulley on the hitch occasionally rubs and throws a few sparks, I haven't looked at it yet to see where but it is very, very close to the front axle and I think this is where the problem is.  Anyone else have this happen and have an easy fix?

5.  At 63 years old, I still love to play in the snow!  Sorry, didn't get pics, but hopefully down the road, once the cab is on, I will get some.

Steve 

• Thanks 1

Kenh

As for starting... I have a 7119H.  If I know I'm using the tractor in the morning I place a trouble light (100 watt) next to the front of the engine under the  output shaft of the engine.  Then I take a old rug or two and throw them over the engine and down in the front to capture the heat of the light.  So far it hasn't failed me!  

I'm up near Mason City, Swaledale actually.  OH..... I think I hate you for having a cab.  LOL LOL.  You will enjoy the cab.  I'm glad you found one!  I'm 62 so I'm standing right next to you.

• Thanks 1

CarlH

Kohler has a cold weather kit ($$$) for the Commands.  First get the triangular plugs from Kohler for the air cleaner base to block cold air forced in from the flywheel fan.  The next stage involves some fab work. Using automotive flexible air cleaner heater stove tubing and steel tubing fab the Command by drilling holes in the muffler shield and the air cleaner housing so the that the  air cleaner pulls in air heated by the muffler.

• Thanks 1

steve-wis

Carl,

Would be interested in pics or other info on that kit.  I also noticed that with the snow blowing around and the cold, about the time I was getting done the tractor did start to run just a bit rough, maybe carb. icing up?  I did forget to put the shields on the hood so the vents right over the carb were open, I will get those on before next time.  

I have an old electric heater, a small one, that I now have out in the garage ready to go, and a 5 X 7 foot tarp to cover the tractor with.  Figure on putting the heater under the running board facing towards the opposite side front tire and then covering the hood with the tarp, leaving the bottom open about a foot.  Half hour of that should warm the thing up.  The trouble light idea sounds good also, but where do you find 100 watt bulbs any more?

I also had to work a bit to start the 19.5 hp vertical briggs in the T816, which is ready to blow snow also and parked right next to the 918.  The tarp will cover both so I can pick my druthers for which to use.  

Hopefully today I will brave the cold (-4 for a high) and check where that pulley is rubbing too.

Picking up the cab next Sunday, can't come too soon!

Steve

• Thanks 1

PhanDad

In this post there's a pic of the Command anti icing baffle I use in the winter:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/35717-winter-carb-covers-heat-housings-etc/?tab=comments#comment-398717

It's similar to the plugs Carl mentioned. It would be easy to make since I think it's now expensive to purchase. 

EDIT:

Just wrote a new post about this baffle with dimensioned dwg:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/59461-command-anit-ice-baffle-dimensions/

A pic:AntiIceBaffle.thumb.jpg.ad4f547202203f2bf9a3073225df086b.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
Added Addtional Info
  • Thanks 1

steve-wis

Thanks, will read Al's posts.  Was out in the garage (to get an extension ladder, plumbing vent pipe was frozen shut on the roof :( and noticed the hood vents are different on the 918 than the T816, so I don't have anything to block them.  Should they be blocked off?  Did they make something for this like the 800 series have?

• Thanks 1

dhoadley

7 hours ago, dince said:

It’s great reading about all this cold air!  Once I finish my 720, I’ll be getting the AC re-gassed!  LOL!

David from Downunder

:cheeky:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

macallis180

Oh, David - just when we thought we might be able to like you, you go and post something about needing air conditioning - oh, maybe I was wrong - you meant putting gas in your Allis Chalmers?   Sorry if I interpreted your post incorrectly - minus -18 below 0 here this morning!    LOL!

• Thanks 1

dince

macallis180, your initial interpretation is correct!   I am amazed at how cold it gets for you folk -  we had minus 7 degrees C this last winter - we nearly perished!!!  Where we are, we get quite a few frosts, but we usually get a fine day afterwards.  It’s no wonder you have heated workshops!

David from Downunder

Hick

I was blowing snow last year and thought to take a picture of the plume of snow and the rising sun.

What I got was TOTALLY unexpected! I could see the individual "throws" of the paddle that the eye cannot see

!

Snow Plume.jpg

• Like 5

BLT

For this season my blowing has been done with my Homelite blower as in leaf. :P Here in the 'burbs of Milwaukee, I would stretching the truth by saying we have had more then 4" of the dry powdery stuff . I can walk it off quicker with the shovel then getting a bigger blower started.  But the  temps are another story, we might make 12 deg today.

• Like 1

steve-wis

Kind of cold here too, been down as low as -19 here in Sully, today supposed to see 10 above, but below zero lows until Saturday.  My vent pipe for the plumbing in the house frosted shut, first time in last 4 years for that, so am trying to unthaw it without climbing on the roof with hot water.  Much rather be blowing a foot of snow in 25 degree weather!

Allen Cooper
On 1/1/2018 at 10:12 PM, Hick said:

I was blowing snow last year and thought to take a picture of the plume of snow and the rising sun.

What I got was TOTALLY unexpected! I could see the individual "throws" of the paddle that the eye cannot see

!

Snow Plume.jpg

Is that the same white stuff we got every where here? Ours is usually earlier in the year and gets picked and hauled off in trucks to the gin!