Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What to do on a cold New Year day in MO

gwiseman

-6* this morning when we go up and now a balmy 10* at 3pm.  So, what to do on a cold day? Split some wood. 

IMG_1178.thumb.JPG.7d5532d7c3e21a6c731a417689784893.JPG

I bought a new Sotz Monster Maul for ~$29 in the 80's. If you know how to use one, let the maul do the work not your back, it does what it is supposed to do. I sold that maul when I left the farm ~25yrs ago. Fast forward: I decided to heat the new shop with wood so I started looking for a Monster Maul and found crazy high prices on eBay and CL for vintage and/or rare listings. They weren't universally accepted and a slow seller in the day so there are NOS ones listed frequently but whew, at a premium. My brother Wendell called me from a tractor show saying he found one in the flea market for $12 so he picked it for me. Well, I've given it a work out this fall/winter and believe I've gotten my money's worth.  
IMG_1182.thumb.JPG.48c91a3fb5fd645f1c308ca123613e55.JPG

Edited by gwiseman
  • Like 3

The old timers say he who heats with wood gets warm twice.  I still have my maul but has cobwebs on it now.  I put a pellet stove in the family room about 10 years ago.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, acken said:

The old timers say he who heats with wood gets warm twice.  I still have my maul but has cobwebs on it now.  I put a pellet stove in the family room about 10 years ago.

Yea, and that sure is the case here.  I've heard great reviews on pellet stoves Ken. 

• Like 1

Not familiar with that maul, any pictures? I have always enjoyed splitting wood, but haven't had the stove hooked up in the shop for a few years. I have been thinking about getting something for the house, especially after this cold spell! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, B-16_IC said:

Not familiar with that maul, any pictures? I have always enjoyed splitting wood, but haven't had the stove hooked up in the shop for a few years. I have been thinking about getting something for the house, especially after this cold spell! 

Just a thought we have a wood stove in the house always a layer of dust on everything, love the heat though.

Real nice to be able to see the ground, we've been covered under 2 ft of snow since early December, come on Christmas is done it can disappear now.

• Like 1

Ah, now I recognize it! My boss has one of those, always wondered if it really worked. Sure doesn't look efficient, does it depend on the wood? 

My thought on wood heat is an outside burner, forced air. I would have to do some re-engineering on a factory one though, haven't seen one yet that burns quite right. 

• Like 1

Did a little of that last week too.  But with the ol' wedge and sledge. 

Don't do it too often anymore, now only before a festive weekend for the fireplace. 

My Dad said splitting wood kept him young.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B-16_IC said:

Ah, now I recognize it! My boss has one of those, always wondered if it really worked. Sure doesn't look efficient, does it depend on the wood? 

The Monster Maul really is efficient but, you have to  use one correctly. The impact of the wedge end hitting the wood does the work so finding the natural cracks and utilizing them, or studying the grain in the wood and utilizing it is best. I'll try to find an instruction sheet that came with them new and post (surely one on the internet somewhere). Basically raise the maul to swing and, as it comes over center you guide it to impact rather than force it. If used correctly it is not hard on the back but if not it'll leave lasting memories.

• Like 1

I thought the maul was going to be the type with the mechanical spring loaded wings. Anyone use one of the winged mauls and does it work?

8 hours ago, dhoadley said:

nos-vintage-sotz-monster-maul-axe_1_7d6d2e4e94263989707a89374f9c06a7.jpg

It looks pretty mean with that welded handle.  I used to use one with a fibre glass handle, but couldn’t keep up with Jan’s burning rate.  I bought her a 30 ton hydraulic splitter, which she lets me use, all the time!  One of my better investments!

David from Downunder

Edited by dince
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dince said:

It looks pretty mean with that welded handle.  I used to use one with a fibre glass handle, but couldn’t keep up with Jan’s burning rate.  I bought her a 30 ton hydraulic splitter, which she lets me use, all the time!  One of my better investments!

David from Downunder

My better investment quote refers to my wood splitter!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 12:53 PM, dince said:

David from Downunder

Anniversary, Birthday or Christmas present?  I completely understand.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• airgunner
    • mbsengineer
    • BLT
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts