Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Command Anti Ice Baffle Dimensions

PhanDad

In recent post there was some discussion of Command engine winter operation; I mentioned the Kohler "Anti Icing Kit" baffle I purchased back in 2010 (Kohler Part #54 755 06S):  

AntiIceBaffle.thumb.jpg.d29d6936c13a66ec21bda7e33399c59d.jpg

To install it in a Sovereign, it requires bending the "Remove Baffle..." tang down so it will fit (gas tank interference).  Here's a pic of it installed:

IMG_6163.thumb.jpg.e79e5fac0783dcd0739c2141499480be.jpg

Yes you can manage to slide it into position from the right side.  I only hold it on with the screw on the right side in front of the battery , you can't get to the other screw location.  So far it's stayed put in operation.

Here's the "install" instructions:

Command_Anti_Ice_Baffle_Inst01.thumb.jpg.290c387a46c99346c91e0abfd4e6b661.jpg

Command_Anti_Ice_Baffle_Inst02.thumb.jpg.88d24746589db461d6a1800b86210e68.jpg

NOTE:  WITH THE TANG BENT DOWN, YOU DON'T HAVE TO MODIFY THE AIR CLEANER COVER, THE COVER GOES OVER THE BENT DOWN TANG.

I thought I had made a dimensioned tracing of the baffle at the request of a club member so he could his own since they are now outrageously priced ($60.23  currently at OPE Engines). 

And most importantly I was able to find the electronic version of the drawing:

Command_Anti_Ice_Baffle01.thumb.jpg.9ef42ceb9b4b3caaca09bfeb2cbc03ad.jpg

Note that the boxes are 1/4" so you can scale the curves if you chose.  I'd guess the material is about 1/32" thick (It's currently installed and impossible to measure . Plus it's about 15 deg in the garage ATM.

I think I'll make a .pdf of this info and download to the "Download" section of the site.

Edited by PhanDad
  • Like 3

Thanks for the info!  When you install this baffle, do you need to pipe in hot air from the front also, or does the two front holes allow enough air for running?  I see this baffle on ebay for $9, might buy it.

Steve

2 hours ago, steve-wis said:

Thanks for the info!  When you install this baffle, do you need to pipe in hot air from the front also, or does the two front holes allow enough air for running?  I see this baffle on ebay for $9, might buy it.

Steve

I didn't pipe any extra air.  The two holes in the front supply sufficient air.  There is a note in the install instructions that if your Air Cleaner Base doesn't have 4 holes, you have to purchase on that does.

2 hours ago, steve-wis said:

Correction, it WAS on ebay for $9, must have been a good price, it is gone.

I've never seen one offered anywhere.  Compared to OPE price, $9 is a tremendous bargain. 

Since my daughter now has a Sovereign with a Command engine, I figure I should install one of these baffles for winter operation - so I just made one.

As raw material, I used a piece of sheet metal from a Heathkit TV chassis I built back in the '70's (like B10Dave, I also re-purpose a lot of stuff) since it already had a 90 deg bend in it with enough edge for the mounting ears.  A couple of pics:

IMG_9538.thumb.JPG.93c1592773705eaac799235e876c2dad.JPG

IMG_9539.thumb.JPG.26089e9714c52205a1160b95a34c423f.JPG

A couple fabrication notes:

1) Hopefully the drawing in the "download" item will print more to scale since it's a .pdf file.  I didn't have any success using the pic I posted above.

2) The tang for the warning label that I bent down on the original, must be bent further in as shown (it can't be on the same bend line as the mounting tabs).  If it's on the same bend line, it will interfere with the gas tank and you won't be able to install it.  First I tried cutting about 1/2 of it off (it serves no purpose except for the warning label and gives you something to grab when installing) but still a no go.  So I flattened it out and re-bent the tang further in and it will now install. 

• Like 2