Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy owners

720nut

I'm wondering if any of you have disconnected the safety switches, seat and pto ?

I've got a loader  on my pre xl and everytime I go to get off the seat it will shutoff If I have pto on .

This time of year I use it for getting firewood in and would be nice if pump would still run to heat the hydraulic oil, loader works real slow this time of year.

If not I'm going to replace clutch with a hub as this is loader only and I'ld prefer live hydraulics

Talntedmrgreen

Seat, always.  I like to hop on and off without my tractor dying and dont always want to apply the park brake.  However, I use my PTOs for a wide variety of equipment, front, mid and rear l, and dont care to end up wrapped around a shaft at any point.  I dont trust my little guys from getting ahold of the switch either, so I am tending to err to the side of caution and deal with the hassle.  

Makes sense for a front pto powered loader though.  If I recall, my last early Legacy had the safety disabled so I didnt have to kill the pump when leaving the tractor. 

2 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Seat, always.  I like to hop on and off without my tractor dying and dont always want to apply the park brake.  However, I use my PTOs for a wide variety of equipment, front, mid and rear l, and dont care to end up wrapped around a shaft at any point.  I dont trust my little guys from getting ahold of the switch either, so I am tending to err to the side of caution and deal with the hassle.  

Makes sense for a front pto powered loader though.  If I recall, my last early Legacy had the safety disabled so I didnt have to kill the pump when leaving the tractor. 

I don't blame ya with the boys but I'm only one that runs this one .

Do you by chance remember how or what you disconnected ?

As for the seat it will quit whether I have a jumper wire or not, I've tried it both ways and as soon as I release the brake it will quit

Ok little update since I first posted this but : I found that if you take the seat switch out you then can tie the switch down as if your on the seat and It will run and pto can be on without you being in the seat, release the brake and it will still remains running. For what I am doing with loader this is just what I needed.

I wouldn't recommend this with the mower or a snow blower, best to have it quit if you leave the seat

Edited by 720nut

All you have to do is lift the seat and pull the wire  and plug out of the underneath area of the seat...then either cut the plug off and strip the end of the wires, twist them together and put wire nut with tape around it ...or just leave the plug on it and bridge the two contacts inside the plug with a wire or small piece of metal...a copper pipe clamp for 1/2 inch pipe is easy to cut or grind down for this purpose...if I can I will get a picture of it for you

I always disable the seat switch on the newer tractors.The only one that bit me is the Legacy I have now.I exited the cab on the right side and accidently stepped on the rev hydro pedal on the way out.Launched me right outa that cab and onto the garage floor.Now ,when I exit with engine running I go out the left side.If I hit one of the lift pedals it won't throw me on the floor!

37 minutes ago, locknut said:

I always disable the seat switch on the newer tractors.The only one that bit me is the Legacy I have now.I exited the cab on the right side and accidently stepped on the rev hydro pedal on the way out.Launched me right outa that cab and onto the garage floor.Now ,when I exit with engine running I go out the left side.If I hit one of the lift pedals it won't throw me on the floor!

And how did you disable the switch ? I tried a jumper wire but no go and someone told me that you just unplug neither worked but tying  the switch down works and pto will run without me being in the seat ?

I really do not want to be replacing clutches because I have to keep turning them on and off everytime I want to leave the seat.

I exit to the left also as control valve sticks out there and makes it tough to get on or off that side. No cab

DSCN1954.JPG

If the sw is like the one on my Agco,it's a plastic assy bolted to the seat bottom by two bolts,I took it off the seat and held the spring loaded assy tight and wrapped with electrical tape and left it laying on the pan under the seat.Leave the wire plugged in.Easypeezee.

2 hours ago, locknut said:

If the sw is like the one on my Agco,it's a plastic assy bolted to the seat bottom by two bolts,I took it off the seat and held the spring loaded assy tight and wrapped with electrical tape and left it laying on the pan under the seat.Leave the wire plugged in.Easypeezee.

Basicly what I ended up doing only I used two tie wraps and reinstalled on the seat. It does just what I wanted.