Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 fuel cap

SimpleOrange

Is there an alternative fuel cap that fits the 9020, I d not want one with the fuel gauge. After each use the tank gets filled with gasoline to keep condensation out.

Also looking for the proper muffler so that I'm able to put the hood back on to keep snow off the engine while blowing  snow, right now I'm running short header pipes to keep cold air off the exhaust valves which would cause them to warp.

cap.thumb.png.f01e7999ebff1b0987e00b49c591a318.png

Go to NAPA and ask for a gas cap for a 1956 ford F-100, NAPA pn BK 7031220 

$6.49 at my local store right now.

John U

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a muffler from a John deer junkyard an onan 18hp 318 tractor and flipped it upside down and changed the outlet pipe from the left hand side to exit the front of the tractor. I had very lil time involved and fabrication about three hours and 45 dollars spent on muffler but my original muffler was never there so to me it’s a big improvement over a stack on one side and a pancake muffler on the other side the P.O. couldn’t even put two of the same mufflers on looked terrible

71BF9658-0A40-4B7F-A8BD-AFBC732E76DD.jpeg

BB709873-501B-4A7F-AF7B-21ABB5B7ABC3.jpeg

5B61B1B7-0A35-4DD0-A0E2-FE9DEE91D2E8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I know the 9020 discharges out the front unlike the allis out the side but I went ahead and bought two mufflers anyway my 4040 needs one to  and all the more money and work I had in it I’ll just spend a lil extra time and swoop the 4040’s muffler outlet back around to the middle and out the front. It’s a shame there isn’t simplicity garden tractor junk yards everything is green around here except for the farm tractors which a quite few r still hanging around from an Allis Chalmers dealership that closed in the 70’s 

28 minutes ago, Josiah deshong said:

I got a muffler from a John deer junkyard an onan 18hp 318 tractor and flipped it upside down and changed the outlet pipe from the left hand side to exit the front of the tractor. I had very lil time involved and fabrication about three hours and 45 dollars spent on muffler but my original muffler was never there so to me it’s a big improvement over a stack on one side and a pancake muffler on the other side the P.O. couldn’t even put two of the same mufflers on looked terrible

71BF9658-0A40-4B7F-A8BD-AFBC732E76DD.jpeg

BB709873-501B-4A7F-AF7B-21ABB5B7ABC3.jpeg

5B61B1B7-0A35-4DD0-A0E2-FE9DEE91D2E8.jpeg

Thanks for the info and taking the time to post pictures, good to know there are alternatives out there.

Has anyone wired their tractor for electric heated gloves, this is next on my wish list. The two fingers that I borke years ago do not fare well in the extreme Manitoba cold.

Glove recommendations would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, SimpleOrange said:

Thanks for the info and taking the time to post pictures, good to know there are alternatives out there.

Has anyone wired their tractor for electric heated gloves, this is next on my wish list. The two fingers that I borke years ago do not fare well in the extreme Manitoba cold.

Glove recommendations would be appreciated.

Might I suggest a cab.  You can then run a shop vac hose from the grille back into the cab & have heat.  Sounds crazy but it does work indeed.

1 hour ago, ShaunE said:

Might I suggest a cab.  You can then run a shop vac hose from the grille back into the cab & have heat.  Sounds crazy but it does work indeed.

I once owned a 1956 Volkswagen that was heated in a similar way. You needed an ice scraper to keep the frost off the inside of the windshield. This was long before Volkswagen introduced the gas heater.

A cab limits your visibility plus they''re a PITA to get in and out of and the plastic windows eventually fog becoming opaque  and become brittle from UV radiation.

My beard is a natural barrier to the cold, wind and snow, plus its a renewable resource.

It's one finger previously broke that suffers from the cold, maybe I'll try a pair of heated gloves that use a rechargeable battery pack.

Was hoping we had some snowmobiler's on the forum that could give some input on the pros and cons on the heated gloves.

Volkswagen gas heater.

gas.png.eef06bc5514cf7dbbefe3213bac9020d.png

Edited by SimpleOrange

"I once owned a 1956 Volkswagen that was heated in a similar way. You needed an ice scraper to keep the frost off the inside of the windshield."

We used our school ID cards to scrape the inside of Dads VW windshield lol....  Dad is like Mr Whipple? er ah Mr Creedy.....from the old Midas muffler ads, he's 94 and still has his VW

image.thumb.jpeg.64d1dcb3b3a0f0dddb61947f3e7eeb64.jpeg

Edited by isetta
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2018 at 1:27 PM, SimpleOrange said:

Is there an alternative fuel cap that fits the 9020, I d not want one with the fuel gauge. After each use the tank gets filled with gasoline to keep condensation out.

Also looking for the proper muffler so that I'm able to put the hood back on to keep snow off the engine while blowing  snow, right now I'm running short header pipes to keep cold air off the exhaust valves which would cause them to warp.

cap.thumb.png.f01e7999ebff1b0987e00b49c591a318.png

Turn those header pipes down and forward and you might just blow some more snow:D That thing must sound awesomedOd

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2018 at 8:16 PM, SimpleOrange said:

Was hoping we had some snowmobiler's on the forum that could give some input on the pros and cons on the heated gloves.

I don't use them as every machine built from the mid 80's has heated grips & thumb warmer.  Some even had them in the 70's.  Cobra (Powermad now) came out with a windshield many years ago that was flared to the outside of the handlebars which helped tremendously.