Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Triad swap?

Wilbur643

My triad has started hunt with out the choke out a little, not all the time but off and on. I cleaned the carb, but it still doing it. My be a governor problem. If I ever have to swap out the triad, I may put a new engine in it, tractor only has around 650 hr. I can get a CH620-3129 command for around $1500.00 shipped. It has the flywheel adapter, chop screen, vacuum fuel pump, and muffler ( starter side 45 degree). SEW has a 18hp Briggs vanguard kit with every thing I need ??? including the right muffler for about the same price, my be a little less. With the command I would have to do some rewiring, not my strong suite, but with you guys help (PhanDad) I should be able to do it.

My questions: Has anybody done a SEW swap with the vanguard, if so what your thoughts?

Command or Briggs ???  

Side note, I have a NOS carb for the triad that plan to put on it. If this stops the hunting then this my all be a moot point. This is the only problem I've had with triad in thirteen year. While my spinketer tightens a little every time I use it the damn thing keep going and going and going.

Chris

One of the previous owners of my 7119 had already repowered it with a vanguard but it later dropped a valve (see the piston-valve assembly below).  I bought it with two parts motors in a big box, neither of which was worth saving.  So I bought a used Briggs 350455.  It had a tapered crank shaft (for a generator application) so I used one from the parts box.  There have been several threads on such a repower - - -here is the link to mine:  https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/54692-7119-re-power-with-vanguard-350445/?tab=comments#comment-54695 

She runs fine but I discovered problems with the mid-PTO cone clutch which I have yet to resolve.  I plan to post more pictures soon.

rsz_1dscf0053.jpg

In order to thoroughly clean the Triad carb, you must also:

1) Remove the Idle Passage Cover screwed onto the top of the carb and clean the Slow Air Bleed Jet, Slow Jet, Transfer Port, Idle Progression Chamber, Idle Limiter Jet, Idle Port Passage, Idle Port and Idle Progression Holes. Also, inspect the cover gasket for damage. If the gasket is damaged, replace it.

2) Remove the idle jet. There may be an aluminum plug pressed into the carb body to cover it to prvent you from adjusting, remove the plug. CAREFULLY screw the jet in while counting the turns until in bottoms out. Mark the number of turns in your manual for future reference. Remove the jet and clean the passage.

So anybody done the Smallenginewarehouse Vanguard swap, I know Ray did the SEW swap with a Honda awhile back, they don't offer the Honda anymore. Just trying to get some info on the quality and the ease of the install.

Chris

Chris, I thought someone on here did one (I'll have to look into that) and there is a fellow in IL who's done a couple of them w/no problem.

Hi, I did a swap last summer with a briggs, from SEW in my sovereign, dropped right in very happy so far. I put a rebuilt command in first, had to rewire, new muffler (pain in butt). I was not happy w/rebuilt motor so I pulled it out! Bought a brand new motor from SEW..... Very Happy! Still have my triad motor (still running) an found a cheap donor tractor an put my triad in it, Now I have 2 running tractors. I would buy from SEW again, new motor, 3 year warranty, and good customer service.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IHITDPOST said:

Hi, I did a swap last summer with a briggs, from SEW in my sovereign, dropped right in very happy so far. I put a rebuilt command in first, had to rewire, new muffler (pain in butt). I was not happy w/rebuilt motor so I pulled it out! Bought a brand new motor from SEW..... Very Happy! Still have my triad motor (still running) an found a cheap donor tractor an put my triad in it, Now I have 2 running tractors. I would buy from SEW again, new motor, 3 year warranty, and good customer service.

So this was the kit? SEW says it comes with every thing I need, may need some modification.

The motor from SEW had everything. I think I had to trim the chop screen a little. I think the wiring plugged right in, ( I had mine rewired from the command I put in first, can't remember exactly ). IT dropped right in, started up, no problems or worries w/3 year warranty

I also used the 18 Vanguard from SEW on a 7119H.  Dropped right in.  I've been extremely happy with the engine.  Uses much less gas and I haven't noticed a difference in torque like a few here have reported.  I did remove the starter solenoid that came with the engine as the 7119 already has one under the dash tower.

• Like 1

Hello,  did the sew swap engine have the oil filter removed?  I know that the oil filter on a briggs vanguard  hits the frame  .

The frame  can be notched  to accommodate the filter.

Thanks Ken in Mi

1 hour ago, maxwood said:

the oil filter on a briggs vanguard  hits the frame  .

I had to cut the frame away to make room for the filter and muffler.  There is still plenty of material left so I cannot imagine a force strong enough to damage the frame.

DSCF0507.JPG

DSCF0506.JPG