Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT19 fuel pump replacement

Kenh

I'm thinking the fuel pump on my KT19 is about had it.  At idle the fuel output is kind of sporadic but it seems it should be enough.   From cold it will start right up and run for "a minute" then die just die like you shut the switch off.   I will start up again but it's needs the choke to stay running.  The carb has been cleaned and confirmed the idle jets are open.   High speed operation is OK and I think at high speed the pump is working fast enough to supply enough fuel.  

It looks to me it might be a bugger to change the fuel pump.  I have limited experience with the KT series engines.  Are there any tricks to changing the fuel pump without pulling a bunch of tin off the engine.  Thanks!

Ken

Hello, I installed a low pressure  electric fuel pump on my 7117 , It seemed to run better  with good fuel supply. I just disconnected the old one and plugged the lines

Thanks Ken in Mi

Fairly simple operation.  The tin that needs to be removed is the small piece with the engine numbers on it & maybe the air cleaner base & coil.  I replaced one a few years ago that was destroyed from Ethanol blended fuel.  

It's $100 FYI.

Before you change it, Pull the hose off crank it over & see how it pumps & check to see if it is warped & leaks.

I'll consider the electric option.  I was wondering id the ID tag would be enough.  I've found some pumps on the bay in the $25 to $30 range.  That is affordable.  Thank you for the info!!

Ken

Edited by Kenh

7 hours ago, mikeman said:

Those are the ones I saw.   Very afforadable.  One does have to wonder about quality even though it says "OEM spec".  

Ken

I assume you have a large frame tractor...if so just by pass the fuel pump and feed the fuel line directly into the carb.   The tank sits higher than the carb and will gravity flow just fine.  I have done this with no problem both on purpose and accidently when I forgot to close the shut off valve (the gas will easily flow right through the fuel pump and fill the engine).

This past Tuesday I took a short road trip to pick up two KT17's from a gentleman.  One was a running engine when it was removed and replaced buy either a Vanguard or a CH18.  I don't remember as he had several repowers!  The other has "loose parts" inside and does not run.  I took that one to replace the broken case on my KT19.   The runner is a complete engine ready to run.  The parts engine is missing the coil and the cover over the air filter.  Both have mufflers on them.  Cost me $200 for both.  The broken engine does not have any holes in the case that I can see.  The Runner will see duty in my old 7116 as that engine is not running.  Well it runs if you can stand the sound of the rod knocking.  LOL

OK to the point of this post.  My KT19 has been having some idle issues of late.  The carb was removed several times for cleaning as the idling was very sporadic.  It would idle fine and then stop running as if the key had been shut off.  High speed was OK.  It seemed that at idle the fuel pump was not pumping as it should and as I mentioned it did seem like it was pumping enough.  Today I pulled the pump off the parts KT17 and stuck it on my KT19.  WOW, it started and idled perfect for about five minutes.  Bumped it up to WOT and all was good there also.

I've never had a pump act like that before, whether it be automotive or L&G.  I learned something and will put it in my bag of tricks!  OH, and depending on how you look at it I recouped anywhere between $25 and $70 of my original $200sm01

Ken

Hello, I have had 2 blown Kt 17s pass thru here  the spot where the case was damaged was behind the starter  . 1  hole,  was cracked around it,  and the other  had a hole the size of a dime  . I had to remove the starter, to find the hole in the block.

Thanks Ken In Mi

Well darn.....  In any case I still have a bunch of extra parts.  When summer comes I'll tear it apart and see what I have.  I do have to say the outside of the case is dry but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  Maybe I'll be lucky and it will be a timing gear????

ken