Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I am looking at a AC B212

MARK (LI)

Seller says it needs points....I have seen some videos about replacing points with some kind of an electronic ignition system...and it did not seem difficult as I recall...are these ignition pieces universal, or does each engine have a specific part required

thanks for any input   Mark

As long as the coil is still good a mega-fire module can be installed on that unit to elimate the points. Personally I like the points and just clean/adjust them or replace with new. Sometimes the plunger that pushes the points open and closed can get worn to the point it will not adequately open the points. If that is the case then you may be better off to go with the mega-fire as replacing the plunger is a more involved job. As for the points they are not "universal."  You will need the correct points for that model of Briggs engine. 

3 minutes ago, MARK (LI) said:

electronic module to replace the points

The electronic module does not replace the points, it replaces the coil and eliminates the need for points.   But no, it is not universal.  Just as each coil might be slightly different, so is its electronic module equivalent.  

No big deal, just identify the part number for the conventional coil and search for the electronic equivalent.

I have an electronic trigger/module on 2 Briggs powered tractors: 1-on AC Bumblebee 10 & 1- on Simplicity 3012. Both work great and but both have their quirks that I had to learn (my Bumblebee 10 starts @ release of start button but not while start button is depressed). They are inexpensive and give years of life.    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stens-440-465-Ignition-Module-Universal/301868934268?hash=item4648ca647c:g:zCIAAOSwEjFXca02

I've been using a "MegaFire" on my Homie T-12 for years without any issues.  Didn't switch the mag coil.  Here's some pics:

MegaFire0028.jpg.8a6db946439559a111a3a4a93e7f617e.jpg

MegaFire_Directions.jpg.06ea8c0195c00498b9d8437e5ab5edc1.jpg

MegaFire_Mounted1.thumb.jpg.bcb27a40e1150ab16961b07e460d1864.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a tractor once that was advertised as "non" running. Learned a trick from a club member and applied it in this situation. After seller and I rolled tractor onto trailer I put in replacement battery converted the points to a Nova II ignition and it turned right over and popped. Of course cash had already exchanged hands and off I went.