Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Running issues

thmsdoyle

Was plowing snow today, tractor ran fine for about 30 minutes. Then it slowly started to run worse. Initially it was when I would go from forward to reverse, it would miss and slow way down then it would speed back up and run fine. Was able to back throttle off to 3/4 throttle, it ran fine for maybe 5 minutes then it started doing the same thing. A few times it acted as if ignition was turned off, lost of power then it would catch and start running. Usually it happens under a load.  Engine doesn't smoke, no black smoke while running, once in a while when it's first started it might put out a small puff of smoke on initial start. However it's very small amount. I have had issues before, it comes and goes but is becoming more frequent. Always seems to be after it has ran for 30 to 40 minutes. No backfiring, carburetor has been cleaned (not rebuilt), float is adjusted level to carb body, some blackness on plug probably a little more than I expected, points and condenser were replaced. 

Once this started I tried adjusting the high speed screw on carb, it didn't help if I went rich or lean, 1/2 turn from my setting in either direction made it worse. 

This tractor did sit for several years before I got it. Any thoughts? I'm wondering if it could be a weak coil? Just guessing.

This a 1978 baron 14 hp.

Tom

Edited by thmsdoyle
added information

Could be carb icing - either internal or external 

Shields were available for the FDT and 7000 series tractors 

ATM I can only find posts about the FDT shield and a custom shield also on a FDT tractor:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/50302-custom-winterizing-shield/?tab=comments#comment-50305

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/50302-custom-winterizing-shield/?tab=comments#comment-50305

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bill725 said:

Have you checked your compression or better yet performed a leak down?

I have not checked compression on this yet. 

Spent the afternoon in the shop, wrenching on the 7014. I found several small things. Torqued head bolts (3 were loose 3/4 to full turn), replaced spark plug even though it wasn't to bad, cleaned carburetor again with all new gaskets including the turn down elbow from the head (which was barely tight). Sprayed carb cleaner through all jets.

Was actually putting it back together and stopped. I used torch tip cleaners, ran them through all the jets. Had something inside the nozzle coming up from the high speed jet. I was getting a good spray of carb cleaner through it before, but after cleaning with the wire cleaner the spray was significantly more (and this is what I believe to be the issue I was having). Put everything back together warmed it up and set high speed and idle screw. I ran it for 35 minutes plowing the neighbors driveway. No issues with power or surging, full throttle is even and smooth. Hopefully this resolves this problem. 

Time well tell

Tom

Edited by thmsdoyle
  • Like 2

:J AWESOME. 

Sometimes the Jets are a real bear to clear. I myself  have taken carbs on and off 3 times before I could get them cleared enough to run right!

• Like 1

Was able to give the old girl a true test today. Plowed 6 driveways, 3/4 to full throttle for about 2 hours. Never sputtered once. 

• Like 1

It would be my guess it was running very lean and overheating,  That compounded by low compression from the loose head bolts.  You had a good fix!  congratulations!

Ken

• Like 1