Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What do I call my tractor

Allen Cooper

The tractor I bought is not all original. The sheet metal hood says 710-6. Th p.o. was not careful with applying paint. I have not been able to find a ID tag. The tires and rims are correct for a 710. The engine is a Kohler k341 16h.p. The best I can tell without stripping off the paint the tiller was originally orange. My owners manual and the parts manual shows the only major difference is the engine. . Also the current owner [ ME ] removed the rear tires and installed new 23/8.5x12 Deestone AG tires with 5 gals of RV -25 Washer fluid each. Please see my gallery photos for id.

So which do I call it? 710 or 716

Still has the 6 speed. Thats why I bought it. I was after the lower speeds and a tiller. Got both with one purchase. It will strickly be a dirt moving machine. I have another GT for mowing.

I will be repainting and putting new decals on it. However it will also be like my other toys. I'm an old hot rodder. Never leave it stock! IE rear tires are already changed for AG tires.

It is either a 710 thats been repowered with a 16hp...

or

It is a 716 that has had the front wheels and tires changed to 710 front wheels and tires

710's came from the factory with the narrower 4.80x4x8 front tires. (710s also had 23x8.50x12 rear tires while 716's had 23x10.50x12 rears)Thats the other difference besides the engines between the 710 and the 716.

The engine also appears to be a magnum 16 with electronic ignition not a k-series., which is not original to the 700 series. Also the stub crankshaft appears to be threaded, and if so, that is an engine spec'ed for a gravely I believe. Cant remember for sure, but I had one like that which   I re-powered a 917 with once. If this is the case, then your keyswitch  and some of the wiring will not be original either.

medium.20171229_162056.jpg.c5eba76a6449f

medium.20171229_162225.jpg.91e0f55c53565

medium.20171229_162209.jpg.98659d65271a3

Evidence is pointing to it being most likely  likely a original 710 thats had an engine swap.

Edited by SmilinSam
add pictures

The key switch appears original. It has a ceramic back. The previous owner added a toggle switch to turn the ignition on and off. The Keyswitch still operates the starter. He is the one who told me it was a k341. Also gave me the part of the rebuild kit he did not use.

Will the air shields from a K341 fit this engine? Hope so..that is what I ordered.

Thanks for the info. Any and all is appreciated.

Edited by Allen Cooper
added

1 hour ago, Allen Cooper said:

p.s. the toggle switch in the center is the ignition switch.

My sister has a 917 that was re-powered with a Magnum 18.  It has the same ignition toggle switch.  If I remember correctly, due to the electronic ignition of the Magnum engine, you either had to replace the ignition switch or add that toggle & wire something different.  Guy's like BLT, Phandad & many others who really have a good grasp in wiring can explain why.

The toggle would be a independant kill switch that when turned on grounds the magneto coil on the magnum and  kills the engine. You cant hook the k series keyswitch  ignition wire up tho the magnum  mag kill wire because you would send 12v of juice stright to the mag coil and instantly fry it. So, the must have the 12v coil wire from the switch taped off or disconnected somewhere.

The shroud parts on the magnum single are quite a bit different shape than a k series. I've useed k series in a pinch , but it requires modifying  the tin and it aint pretty when done.

Am I correct in thinkin it really needs the tin it does not have. It gets hot here and humid.

Since this is not a show tractor nor all original it may require some thin diamond aluminum plate...hhmm