Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Allen Cooper

Front Counterweight weight

Allen Cooper

I have read everything I could find on front weights for using the hd tiller. None mention how much the counterweight weights. I have an AC 710 with the 38" hd tiller. Manual says it weighs 147 lbs. The tractor does wheelies when starting to move with the tiller attached. also very lite in the front at all times. Also front weight under the frame or front wheel weights work better?

SmilinSam

Yours isnt the hd 38 tiller which would weigh in a little over 300 lbs and have the gear box on one side of the tiller. Yours is the standard 36" tiller with the gearbox in the center of the tiller.

Front wheel weights work good, as does a front stationary weight pinned to the frame. You dont need both. I used a b-series counterweight for a while pinned stationary in place.

Bill725

You can also add front weight by adding front wheel weights. But, I have run a 36" tiller on a 7000 series and a late model Sovereign, both with no additional weight on the front of the tractor without any issue. The only issue has been when the tiller really digs in it likes to push a hydro tractor and this is less likely with a non-hydro tractor.

Talntedmrgreen

It is common to use a tape measure and mistake a 36” tiller as a 38” but they are significantly different, with the 38” being much larger.  

Front wheel weights seem to be the freferred choice but hanging any weightnout front will help.  I agree that I have never fpund that necessary with a 36” tiller so I am curious which you actually have. 

B7A55B09-3580-4BF4-8B67-BDDF1C447753.jpeg

EF574C63-145C-427D-B73C-C0C06CBE66FE.jpeg

• Like 1

SmilinSam
13 minutes ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

I  I agree that I have never fpund that necessary with a 36” tiller so I am curious which you actually have.

Heres a picture from his member album...

medium.20171229_162111A.jpg.e4fdaf647d6f

Talntedmrgreen

Ahhh.  Yeah I would think weight wouldnt even be needed.  But, the easiest way is to slap a $100 set of front wheel weights on, or, if you dont mind permanent weight, fluid in the front tires is cheap. 

Allen Cooper

Reason I asked is the front coming off the ground when I start to move forward. Clutch moves very little before the front wheels clear the ground.

Clutch maybe needs adjusting or my leadfoot needs calibrating?

I have not tilled with it yet. The ground is frozen and covered with some strange white stuff we do not see very often anywhere except the cotton fields.

SmilinSam

Does sound to me like the clutch travel is too tight You should be able to easily ride the clutch so the belt slips until the idler pulley is fully tight against the belt. IE the clutch pedal should  have plenty of noticable movement before the tractor starts to fully move.

Talntedmrgreen
1 hour ago, acken said:

I doubt fluid in those narrow front tires would have much effect.

I bought a 101 that had fluid filled fronts and it was quite noticable.  I bet you add 30lbs or so to the front end that way.  Ive known others to do it. 

GregB

Here is what I run on my 917H when I hang the monster 38" HD tiller like pictured above.

Bolts to the frame, hang weights only when I need them.

RayS was making something like this, I thought.

weights1.jpg

Edited by GregB

MercerRec

A factory front counterweight helps on tractors that don't have hydraulic lift.  I run one along with 1 collar weight (the lift rod isnt pictured) on my 7012H when tilling and it helps keep the tires on the ground as well as makes lifting the tiller easier.

P1090671.thumb.JPG.3f0b19abd66f536a9069d0f44b662fbc.JPG

Edited by MercerRec
resized
  • Like 1

Allen Cooper

I have several question on the tiller i was going to ask and address a little bit later. The shot from behind shows the tiller looking closer to the tractor on the left than the right. That is the way it is. Not a camera angle deal. How much slack should be in the bolts that mount the tiller gear box to the linkage? Is the silver flat top pulley a new replacement or is mine just different?

Chris727
1 hour ago, Allen Cooper said:

I have several question on the tiller i was going to ask and address a little bit later. The shot from behind shows the tiller looking closer to the tractor on the left than the right. That is the way it is. Not a camera angle deal. How much slack should be in the bolts that mount the tiller gear box to the linkage? Is the silver flat top pulley a new replacement or is mine just different?

The silver pulley should be flat as in the pictures PhanDad posted. It looks like your idler arm is too far forward and isn't pinned in place as it should be. 

Talntedmrgreen

tough to see in any pictures I find online, but I had one decent photo on my computer I could zoom in on.  There should be a pin through the drawbar assembly where indicated here, to hold the idler pulley's orientation.

tiller PTO orientation.jpg

Allen Cooper
12 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

tough to see in any pictures I find online, but I had one decent photo on my computer I could zoom in on.  There should be a pin through the drawbar assembly where indicated here, to hold the idler pulley's orientation.

tiller PTO orientation.jpg

Is it held tight to the drawbar or allowed to pivot with the belt?