Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What Engine is it

Allen Cooper

Trying to determine exactly which engine I have. I do know the engine is not original to the tractor. If other photos are needed besides the ones in my gallery please let me know.

I can only go by so far is what I was told when I bought this tractor. All my previous engines were B&S. I was told it was a Kohler K341 16 h.p. He said he rebuilt the engine because it was smoking. He included the gaskets left over from the rebuild.  The engine is not dirty like it has been used since the rebuild. The rest of the tractor is definitely in need of cleaning. The engine does not smoke and starts easily. It runs good. It does not have the front shaft for the front pto, but the engine block is drilled and tapped for the pto. I received several manuals with the tractor. Owners manual pn 1656140 green and white. It has the info sheet in the front filled out but the serial number is for a 712 so i'm thinking its not the original manual. I also got the Parts catalog Form 9003868 October 1974. Two Kohler manuals, one for KT17, KT19 and KT 21 and Kohler owners manual for K241 K321 that has several notes for a K341.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

medium.20171229_162225.jpg.91e0f55c53565

medium.20171229_162209.jpg.98659d65271a3

Kohler M16

Made starting in the late 80's

M (magnum) because its using a internal electronic ignition coil, and the starters and tin is different than the K series. 16, also 16 because it has the double wide air filter. Could be a 12 or 14 even with the air filter, but the head looks like a 16, also the engines I have seen specced without the pto shaft have been 16's.

You can easily link the photos in your album to the threads you start. First right click on your phot and click on copy image location. then in your new thread, left click on the little box in lower right corner "insert other media", then left click on "insert image from url". in the box that appears at the top of the screen,  right click inside the box nd click on paste, then click on the red box " insert into post. Wallah! you have a picture in your postdOd

Edited by SmilinSam

As soon as the weather breaks I plan to examine that area a little closer and clean the end to see if it is threaded and if so what thread size.

14 hours ago, 720nut said:

Sak why is crankshaft so short ??? Inquiring mind would like to know sm03

Had one of these once, and if I remember right its an engine built for a gravely of some sorts. Dont ask me how the engine drives the tractor, becaue I never had one, but apparently it doesnt need a pto shaft sticking out.

38 minutes ago, TimJr said:

Isn't that engine missing some very important tin work around the head and cylinder?

Yes Tim. Two pieces of tin are missing. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 8:25 PM, SmilinSam said:

Had one of these once, and if I remember right its an engine built for a gravely of some sorts. Dont ask me how the engine drives the tractor, becaue I never had one, but apparently it doesnt need a pto shaft sticking out.

The flywheel side has the driveshaft attached. The stub end is threaded for 3/8-16. Somebody had a heavy hand with this engine. Broken bolts all over it. All the tin bolts are broken off in the cylinder and head. what ever was on the short stub end they broke the mounting bolts for it in the block.

The older Kohler engines were very prone to the broken screws. Especially on the opposed twins. I believe it is because of the steel bolt going into the aluminum head. I don't see this often with Briggs. They may have had some sort of corrosion inhibitor. 

Edited by Chris727