Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front PTO on 4040 ????

MPH

Marty, The 4040 doesn't have the spring loaded, adjuster/brake plate (not sure what the correct term is) over the face of the clutch, that the later models have. Therefore, if you do not have a belt on the pulley, it will continue to spin after the engine is shut off. To stop it, just turn the key back to the "on" position and flip the front PTO switch on. That will stop it immediately. Don't forget to turn the key switch and the PTO switch back "off". Jeff

Jeff, my 720 has the brake. The 620 I had did not. Do you think you could buy the brake through 720 parts and put it on a 620 /616 or 4040/4041?

Jeff, One of my 9020's did the same thing when I shut off the engine (even though it has those spring things you were talking about). I remember doing some adjustment on the clutch once, but I can't remember if that resolved the problem. It may be that the pulley quit spinning on it's own after residual (flash) corrosion in the bearing (from lack of use) wore away from normal use? Paul

Jack - Yes, that part would bolt right on and could be used. Don't know where you would find one, though. That's funny that your 620 didn't have it, as both of the 4041's that I owned had it. Paul - I think you probably just needed to tighten it up a little; adjust it back into spec.'s. You could check it with a feeler gauge, as JohnLG described. I think it's .010", but not positive. Jeff

The pulley on my front PTO gains speed and spins like crazy when it is disengaged. I can see and hear the clutch move and if I put a load on it, like a 2x4, it stops pretty easy, is this maybe a rust or dirt problem?? No clue when it last had a belt on it. Thanks..MPH

It's probably casused by friction in the bearing in the pulley that allows the pulley to freespin when the clutch is disengaged. What happens when there is no belt or load on the pulley, the friction in the bearing is great enough to overcome the inertia of the pulley and start it spinning. I don't think that it's anything to worry about. I've seen this happen on one of my Dad's Cub Cadets.

Tim e-mailed me the gap is .20.. Thanks for all the replies guys..Jeff, do you still have acess to the battery heat shields??MPH

MPH I think you and Cyclone have your question figured out. My 2 cents worth is for you to make sure the bearings are not dry. Lubricate them just to be sure, because of no use for years. Some of the ball bearings may be stuck together. Don't get on too much lub. so that is gets on the clutch plate. After you get your repair manual there is an adjustment that should be made to be sure the gap is not too big or too small at the point of clutch blade contact. Those small slots on the side are for a feeler gauge to fit in. I am sure there is rust on the plates, so wait until you run it a few times to get rid of the loose rust then adjust the gap making sure the gap is even all around. If the gap is too small the pulley will turn all the time. If the gap is too large or (the magnetic coil or connections are bad) the clutch magnet will not snap closed and the pulley will not turn with the engine running. Have fun! John

Marty, It's the plate at the back of the engine, right in front of the hydro cooler. However, the plates I have will only work on the CCKB engines. Oh, wait ... I do have an engine shield and back plate for a 4040 - since, I converted my 4040 over to a CCKB. People definitely throw out (what they deem) superfluous pieces of tin, instead of reinstalling. All of the shielding is very important around the engine. How about the belly pan under the frame tunnel? - that's another piece that usually comes up missing. Jeff

Funny you should ask that, Marty. I have recently had a few inquiries and therefore, plan another production run of a dozen or so. I should (hopefully) have them available, once again, in a few weeks. I'll let everyone know. Right now, all I have is two back plates (sheetmetal part that the engine heat shield bolts to - where the fuel lines come through). Jeff

Fuel line comes through??? is my battery in the wrong place or my fuel tank??battery sits in front of the front PTO right under the muffler..Or do some people throw out outher pieces of tin also instead of reinstalling them, second thought I think I understand which piece you're talking of ..MPH