Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas gage float

MikeES

I have never run into this before.  About a year ago I bought 2 new gas gage caps for the plastic large frame gas tanks used on a 710 and 7119.  I have been questioning my sanity for several months with the 7119, because several times I have overfilled the gas tank.  Did again today... 7119 has the blower on it and we have not had enough snow to use it.  Usually when I put the thrower and cab on I fill the tank, but it was showing empty, poor a little in and you know what happened... well I found the float on the gas gage does not float in gas, I checked the other new gas cap and the float works fine.  I did fix it by swapping out the float from an old gas cap.

Has anyone else run into this before?

P1020184.JPG

I have bought several of these through Prime Line but never looked at the fuel level. I guess I'm so used to the B-Series ones that are too short and always seem to show empty, that I still remove them to check the tank. 

Mike,

I bought one of those same aftermarket fuel gauge/caps for my 3314H a few years back and one day it showed empty with a full tank of gas. So I guess this plastic float material gets fuel logged over time compared to the original cork float which didn't?

Tom (PK)

I have also experienced this with newer floats.  I attribute it to the difference in specific gravity of the new blended fuels vs the old non ethanol fuel.  Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

As Chris, I check the tank.  I love the opaque tank on my 75th - just look at the outside of the tank and you know how much fuel you have.

• Like 1

Bill,

The strange thing is, is that it worked fairly accurately for a couple of years and then boom this happened. If it was an ethanol problem I would have expected it to "sink" in a lot less time than years (float material composition) IMO.

Tom (PK)

If it is hollow..it may have developed a leak which would cause it to fill up with the gasoline and not float...the chemicals in today's fuels can be corrosive like that...then again if it is made in China, they may have just assumed it would float without testing it

Edited by MARK (LI)
I spelled a word wrong

This gauge is a Simplicity part.  The float is solid plastic, the other gauge that I bought at the same time is working good they look the same and the texture of the plastic float is the same...but the float that works has discolored (yellowed), while the one that doesn’t has stayed white.  All of my other gauges the floats have discolored.

I have also noticed some of the gauges have floats that are too big in diameter and do not fit well through the tank neck. I did not have this problem with any of the new ones I purchased.

Same story here, as used a "new" float for about 3+ years, and then stopped floating.....

Purchased a new now, and the old, still in great condition, is sitting airing out.  Will try again in spring, so 3-4 months to dry out.  Not sure but perhaps more temp driven also, as was early fall and cooler.

First time in 30 years ever had the float sink.  Not sure, but perhaps Sta-Bill might have an effect.  More questions than answers. 

LOL Mine is just the opposite. Installed new gauge with half a tank of gas. Showed full. Brand new gauge. Installed about two minutes after opening package.

I gave up on those caps years ago as they are expensive and inaccurate. I buy the cheap little chrome screw on caps for a couple bucks at the store. I would always find myself taking the cap off to check the level anyways since these are inaccurate so why not put a cheap cap on

9 hours ago, gravey72 said:

I gave up on those caps years ago as they are expensive and inaccurate. I buy the cheap little chrome screw on caps for a couple bucks at the store. I would always find myself taking the cap off to check the level anyways since these are inaccurate so why not put a cheap cap on

Same here, I use a wood paint stir stick with a line notched for full, stick it in pull it out, top of the wet line is what you have. More accurate than any float gauge.

Old farm tractor trick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur643 said:

top of the wet line is what you have

I do basically the same thing to check the weather.  I hang a length of rope outside the window.  If I open the window and the rope feels wet, I know it is raining.  If the rope feels dry; sunshine.  If the rope is gone, a tornado is coming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just replaced mine. Old one worked, but the plastic was non visible. Glad I read this was getting ready to throw the old one away. I guess it goes into the hoarders shelf for future use or parts. 

18 hours ago, tadams said:

Someone makes a new plastic lense for them

Didn't someone here do a write-up on making your own replacement lens from a peanut butter container?

I have float gauges working fine that are over 50 years old.  

I have replaced the lense using a clear plastic, but you need to use something that is convex or the needle will rub on the lense.  Don’t forget to vent the cap.

Used a bottom from a salted peanut jar on one of mine.  Had the convex bottom so I could turn it over and didn't rub the needle. Still have not found a good adhesive yet that doesn't soften with the gas.  Peanut jar bottom is still ok.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:56 AM, wwbragg said:

I do basically the same thing to check the weather.  I hang a length of rope outside the window.  If I open the window and the rope feels wet, I know it is raining.  If the rope feels dry; sunshine.  If the rope is gone, a tornado is coming.

You left out if the rope is stiff its below freezing!

• Like 2