Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What simplicity and motor did I purchase?

Bigstone

Several  months ago I bought a Allis 917 with a couple of attachments  to be used this coming spring. It had a broken rear axle.  The good people here said  I should look for a  donor tractor because the  broken axle and gears came in a bucket and it's an easier repair that way.   I found a running 712 for $150 with mower deck that needs  repair plus a better deck that needed some spindle refurbishing but I like this tractor so I may keep it whole. 

Fast forwarding  I found what I believe is a donor tractor but it was a non runner.  The guy I bought  it from new nothing about this tractor. He just sold a couple of parts off it to make a few bucks and sold me the rest.   Now this tractor came with no hood or deck so I don't know what model it is?   Hope to attach photo's of what I bought..

I thought I should give this donor a go.  The first thing I did was to put fresh oil in the engine and clean the air cleaner and threw in a battery and the started didn't engage. I then  I realized that the starter and generator were combined (delco brand) .  (I  didn't know that was done like that before)  After taking it apart I found the wire leads on two brushes were separated from the carbon so I went on line and bought what  was needed to fix and did the repair.  Now I touched the key and  the started worked so I quickly stopped and pulled the plug and squirted oil for lubrication into the cylinder and did a compression check. Reading was about 80 PSI.  What should the PSI be?   I believe it is a Briggs engine but I can't seem to find any marking to verify that's what I have. I hope someone here will be able to help. And is the engine worth rebuilding or sell for parts if this tractor will be the real donor?   Lots of questions from this rookie.  Once I decide what to do with the engine  I probably start another thread because garden tractor stuff is new to me. 

All your comments will be much appreciated.   

Bigstone     

DSCF5447.JPG

DSCF5448.JPG

DSCF5449.JPG

Bigstone, what you have there is looks like a Simplicity 70xxH.  Either a 12hp or 16hp.  It is a Briggs and Stratton cast iron engine, and would have come with that tractor. If a 16hp it would be a 7016H or maybe a late 3416H, a mid to late 70s tractor.   If you keep looking you will find the nameplate for the engine, if the model number starts with 30 it means it is a 30 cubic inch engine (12 or 13hp) if it starts with 32, it is a 32 cubic inch engine which would make it a 15 or 16hp.

It has the Sundstrand hydro drive with cone clutch which is compatible to your 917.  In fact the whole rear end from the center BGB back is interchangeable with your 917. 

It has the front clutch for driving a snow thrower, that clutch alone is worth $100+.

80psi is just Ok for a Briggs, at 60psi they become very hard to start.  A good engine is 90+ psi.

You found yourself and excellent parts tractor, and if it had a hood another working tractor.

The numbers are usually stamped into cooling tin.  Some were on the top side of the blower housing, but I have seen more on the curved section side around the flywheel.  the model number has 6 digits, type is two then, four digits. 

Somewhere there is table of common models and types used in our tractors.

Here is a start: https://simpletractors.com/research/reference-info/engine-reference/

Great find.

The Simplicity nameplate is visible in your third pic.  It's a silver sticker and located on the tunnel cover right in front of the seat support angle.  It consists of two numbers, the first, the manufacturing number (mfg) and the second, the serial number.  The mfg# is the important one.  If it's still visible, you can download both operators and parts manuals for the tractor.  The 7000 series tractors are my favorites, they do all the 7100 series tractors can do (hydraulic lift and possible power steering aren't available) and they're a little lower and shorter which IMO makes operation on hills better.

In looking for some nameplate reference pics, I noticed that the 3400 series tractors (very similar to 7000 series, but older) had the nameplate where your's is as in this pic of a 3416H tractor:

IMG_7237.thumb.jpg.1461e5d7c2609718bd757eac5b20d9ec.jpg

Vs where the nameplate sticker is on my late model 7016H:

Pic5.thumb.jpg.6629d19babb82130b79cf79d71d54640.jpg

You'll note the transmission is different, your's is a Sundstrand hydro while the 3416H has a Vickers hydro.  So I'm thinking you have an early 7000 series tractor.  (Although there are other possibilities)   Hopefully you'll be able to read the nameplate info.

As to the engine, here's a couple of pics of the most likely area to find the engine info:

IMG_7238b.jpg.af1e2bbdbb1e688dcd8f9c090df16bad.jpg

IMG_7239.thumb.jpg.9c20ddbc1173c7f28a2a538f711ef8e5.jpg

I would think you have a 326431, since the engine has a S/G (starter/generator) rather than the gear tooth starter (326437).

Let us know what you find.

And if you get a hood for your latest tractor and keep it as a worker, than you've definitely contracted tractoritis.  Most everyone on this site has it to some degree.

Hi all, 

First  off is a big thank you for your reply!!!

I forgot to mention in my first post that I don't have spark.  I'm assuming that if  the engine turns over with the key switch  all that safety switches of that era are in working order.  That would lead me to believe I should have spark if the coil  or  points are in good working order?  Would I find either or  under the flywheel or somewhere else?  If under the flywheel do I need to remove the engine to get at  the no spark issue? Like I said I haven't been down this road. 

While you guys were busy responding  to my questions I was back in the barn putz'n and noticed the silver sticker but I didn't really know what to look for but now I do.   I will go back out after supper to check. 

I'll also look for the engine number again.

Thanks again.

Dave

I did find the engine number 326431 so it is a 16 HP unit . However the model# tag for the mower was not legible enough for me to read.

Dave 

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Just an update on the briggs 16.  Today it runs!!!  All it needed was to clean up the magnet on the flywheel.  I do need to dig into the carb as the needle and seat didn't stop the gas  from over flowing but it runs. Where  do you guys buy your parts when needed?   

Thanks to all of you.

Bigstone

• Like 2

Nice to hear you got it going. I get my parts from many sources. You need to get a parts catalog for the engine which you can download at:

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/manuals/results.multiStepManualSearch.html?searchrequested=326431-0127-99

Then you can take the numbers to your local Briggs dealer and they can either supply  you with them or order them for you or you can use a number of online retailers, site sponsors, or eBay.  

One of the most important things to do is add a fuel shutoff and filter, can get both for about $10 just about any local parts store. You will see that Phandad has this setup on his as seen in his pics he provided. That will help with some of your carb problems

Chris727

Thanks for the links  I did use them right away.

gravey 72, 

The previous owner did take care of that. It's difficult to see in my pictures but the filter and shutoff are there.  I'll refresh the filter/s and stuff once I find out the status of the rear end/hydro. .Now I'm waiting on some carb parts.

Thanks again.

Dave