Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BradW

Fluctuating Values?

Dutch
Brad, I have stated repeatedly, "stuff" is worth EXACTLY what the seller is willing to take and what the buyer is willing to pay. This is especially true with anything used, since no two used items are exactly the same. Look at new cars. Due to the recession, manufacturers offer thousands of dollars in rebates, discounts, and interest. The price of certain collectibles are skyrocketing while the bottom is falling out of others. I own a pair of really comfortable used boots that I paid $100 for when new. I wouldn't take $150 for them because they're broke in and I'm not hungry right now. If there's nothing for dinner tomorrow night, I'd sell them for $2. Boot leather must be pretty tough eatin'. Check out the grader blade thread. Greg bought an eBay grader blade for $152.50. Greg lives about 1 hour away from the blade and is going to pick it up. The same blade was worth $200 to Maynard ($125 + $75 shipping). If I didn't already own a grader blade, I would have bid $250 because Hamburg, Pa. is only a 2 hour drive for me. If you really want to sell your sickle bar, put a price on it, or put it on eBay with no reserve. If you just want to find out what it's worth (to someone on a given day), put it on eBay with a high reserve.