Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Original simplicity or allis

jdwilson

Hi all! I haven't posted anything in awhile, but thought this would be an interesting topic! I just turned 61 (funny, looks SO strange, that number in Black and White!) I was wondering how many members can say, they are STILL using the SAME lawntractor they used as a kid? My father bought mine in 1970 new, when I was just 13 years old. It's on its third engine. In fact I just had it overhauled two years ago. These engines are getting harder to find. Still mows magnificently! I even have the owners manual in it's original plastic sleeve. Please don't mistake me for bragging, I'm actually posting this as a testament to these truly unique machines, as to their longevity!mini-IMG_2589.JPG.bf5f3aa89684f7747bc5f9b61634762d.JPGmini-IMG_2585.JPG.604c2149dc4a2f911dd1e9956218144f.JPG

Edited by jdwilson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Dad had one along with the tiller attachment when I was a kid . In  1984 when My wife and I built our house I realized we needed a riding lawn mower and because we were broke I called the local dealer that my Dad had bought all his Simplicitys over the years from to see if they had any thing used for sale .When I showed up there to take a look there sat a go old 738 for $500 .Ran the little tractor with a new short block in it for 25 years .Replaced it with a 4211 but the 4211 never felt like a real tractor.The 4211 mowed ok but it felt light and nothing like that old 738. My Dads current tractor is a 7117h anniversary model that he bought new with  the grass catcher and snow blower with power steering. I just last we week bought a 7112 6 spd and fit it with a 42" snow blower.It took me getting a 7112 to feel  like a real tractor again like the little 738 did. I even had wheel weights that I made from 1" plate steel and chains and a 42" snow blade for the 738.I had a loved hate relationship with the trans axle but it was a great little tractor.

• Like 1

I have my dad's original mower deck, snow blade, garden plow. I did find a 42" snowblower from a dealer after my dad passed. All equipment is in good condition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jdwilson said:

... Please don't mistake me for bragging, I'm actually posting this as a testament to these truly unique machines, as to their longevity!

My dad was a row crop farmer and a pretty good mechanic. He stressed machine maintenance from the time I could listen: check the oil, keep it greased, clean the engine off, etc. He would say if you take care of it, it'll take care of you. 

• Like 4

I have the yellow 18" LawnBoy I bought when I was 11 (I'm 65 now). Talk about looking funny in print! I used it from that point untill I quit mowing lawns at age 35 and still use it to trim with. Its on its second deck and who knows how many wheels and handles. The original engine is still going with only points, plugs, and seals having been replaced.

Your Dad was right taking care of equipment pays.

• Like 3

I have both of the tractors that I knew as a kid. The story as I know it goes, my grandfather bought a B110 all decked out with hydraulic lift new in central Ohio. He grew up a farmer using Allis farm tractors and he later told me that he had a couple Allis machines in the army (WWII or Korea or both).  

He loved it so much that he purchased a plain Jane Simplicity 2110 to be his designated mowing machine. When my parents got married in 1978, he gave my dad the 2110 Along with his snow blade and snowblower. My dad claims that the tractor ate blower belts like they were going out of style, and he sold the snowblower as a result.

My first memories were when dad would let me push snow with the 2110 in the winter time. Mowing became a “chore” But pushing snow is always a pure joy of mine. I broke the axle tube a few times and dad was always able to get it going again with some welding handiwork.

In 1997 of my grandfather asked me to help him “restore” is B110. He wanted it redone in orange like the farm tractors he had as a kid.   He passed away within a year and that tractor collected dust for quite a while. It would come out for the annual mulching of the leaves when we had acres of ground to cover and used as many mowers as we had around. 

When I bought my first house in 2007, a decade later, my grandmother insisted that I take the old Allis tomorrow with. I hated the tractor because it was old and it’s smoked like a chimney.  When I got my first snow I immediately remembered the joy that I had pushing snow with the old Simplicity.   I began searching the Internet and local graveyards and eventually found what turned out to be a fantastic deal enabling me to push snow. That’s when I also ran into simple tractors and discovered my smoking engine was only and extremely rich carburetor. I fell in love with the tractor.

As I begin to collect attachments and gained knowledge, I also got curious about my dad‘s old tractor. He had sold it and knew where it was. I Went and knocked on the door and the family ended up letting me have that tractor back for free. The axle tube was busted. I swapped a new transmission in and it has been back and use ever since.  My father has actually borrowed it back for me it has been mowing with it at his house for the past three years :-)

The orange B110 is here in my collection and is a designated snow pusher every winter, including this one.  It’s still not smoking…

• Like 5

Great Post. While I was the first in my family to have a Simplicity, my first tractors were small-frames. I have a 738 I mow my Grandmother's yard with. Its perfect for the 1/2 acre yard with tight spaces to get into. I love large frames but am really a sucker for small frames. I have six of them in various states. 

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 2

Small frame is the way to go if you have a lot of bends and curves, trees and shrubs to trim around.

These are excellent for smaller city lots.

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 3

My Grand parents had a double corner lot when they moved to town from the farm. I remember when my grandpa bought their 1971 Simplicity Yeoman. The last few years my grandma was alive (my grandpa had passed away already) I mowed her lawn for her. I was always impressed by the quality of job it did. When my grandma did pass away my mom gave me the Yeoman. It's a little small for the 2 acres I mow but it's still going strong. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My son has a Case 190 that my dad bought around 1968 that would put me at around 11 yrs old. My oldest brother and I used it for years, until we got our drivers.license anyway. It still has the original Engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1