Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tom Batts

combination old and new style differential

Tom Batts

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with my tractor . It looks like I have a later style differential with the gear and spacer arrangement from the old style to lock up the wheels. What is the easiest way to set the tractor up with the new style differential with springs? Do I just need to get a whole new differential or can I get the springs and whatever else is required ? From what I can tell it looks like I would need the ring spacers .I don't know if the outer covers etc. are the same for both styles

Thanks for your patience .

AC 1.jpg

AC 2.jpg

AC 3.jpg

TimJr

That is a later inner sun gear - it has the shoulder on it.  It is on wrong - the shoulder should be pointing toward the wheel.  The teeth are too far outboard and are getting into the planet gears incorrectly.  The teeth on that sun gear need to be riding on the inner set of planet gears.  The wheel hub sun gear runs on the outer planet gear set.  Hard to explain without having parts in hand.  Someone correct me if I am wrong - the early diff - pre 1970, had a gear only as wide as the teeth, and used a stack of washers on each side to align it.  I know for sure the later limited slip, post 1970 style used an inner sun gear with a shoulder.  I would think that the parts are interchangeable, as long as the washers are correct.  The only thing here is that there are no springs in the diff.  As far as I know, the differences between early and late was the springs or spacers, the diff housings were stamped from a thicker metal for the later ones,  and the inner sun gear as stated earlier.  The planet gears are the same, right?  Even though the outer wheel hub was different from early to late, wouldn't they be interchangeable?  You need to find a parts breakdown for say a 1692798 Sovereign and assemble it like that, just forget about the springs on the planets.

TimJr

Actually, just thought of something.  What does your left side axle/wheel hub look like?  Again, correct me if I am wrong - the early axles were just a shaft and each wheel hub could be removed.  A later axle had the LH wheel hub welded to the shaft.  Is the later shaft longer?? 

TimJr

The original spacers from the early diff that was not limited slip.  If that is how you found your sun gear, I am pretty confident that is your only problem - simple misassembly.

TimJr

So, we can assume the axle shaft is correct for your tractor.  I have never tried to mix and match the RH wheel hub from early to late/late to early.  As long as the RH wheel hubs are the same length, then I don't see why it wouldn't work mechanically.  You just won't have any limited slip action - from the original adjusting screws, or from the springs inside a later diff.

Edited by TimJr

TimJr

Hopefully you still have the lock ring/snap ring that goes in that groove on the axle shaft and holds the gear and axle in place.  A washer should sit around the ring once it is installed and the washer keeps it from popping out of the groove.  The ID of the washer fits the OD of the lock ring.  Ugh, bedtime - I keep making stupid typos and having to edit my post.....

Edited by TimJr