Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
68_Mag

Help needed.

68_Mag
Ok. I've tried every tractor site I could find, and no one can help me. Maybe y'all can. I have an unknown year Jacobsen 775 garden tractor. I know it isnt Simplicity, but it is orange. It has what I BELIEVE is a Peerless model 600 transaxle in it. I am not sure. It has no engine. I need to know how much weight/ stress this transaxle can pull. I have 6 rims and mud tires off my truck (1964 Ford 350) and am seriously considering adapting the hubs on the Lake and sticking on truck tires. No, I do not mow with this tractor. Will my transaxle handle dual garden tractor ag tires? I want to use it to pull a tiny plow, but am kind of worried. I do not want to damage it. Thanks, 68 Mag

D-17_Dave
Don't mean to sound obnoxious but if you don't want to break it, don't use it. The use of duals to increase traction is OK, but you have to take into concideration the other factors such as engine power, weight on the rear and load from the implements.

Dutch
Why would you need any size dual tires to pull a "tiny" plow? Forget about the fact you'll really mess up your gear ratio...... Just compare the size of the rear axle in your F-350 with the Peerless............ Why would you want to install the dual wheels and tires from that truck on a garden tractor? If you want to make a "Big Foot", it would be easier (and make more sense) to just narrow the F-350 rear axle and install the whole thing.

HubbardRA
After having built my first modified garden tractor puller using a 750 Suzuki motorcycle engine for power, and spending the first three years of competition thinking it was a good pull if I could drive it back onto the trailer after I pulled, I can tell you that you are asking for problems. Engine power, gear ratios, and tranny strength are your primary concerns. From experience I can say that you are going to need somewhere between about 25-35:1 final drive ratio. With the large diameter tires you will not have this. You are better off going to a wide tire and duals and keeping the diameter the same or even smaller.

68_Mag
Ok, lemme re-phrase this. Can my transaxle handle dual ag tires while pulling a heavy load, in the 1/2 ton range? Will it even pull 1/2 ton, on standard 15x something x something else I dont remember tires? I'm designing this to drag out any other mower I get stuck, and pull a cart with firewood. No, I'm not going to consider an ATV or anything other than my Jacobsen. If the transaxle wont handle it, out comes the welder and I'll find a transaxle that will.