Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone have a trick or tip for mounting tires

MARK (LI)

Yes, RedHead or similar as I recall.  The domed allen head screws are just to keep crap out of the threads.  I mount the changer with regular bolts. 

• Like 3

I've resisted going the HF route, but after the battle yesterday, I just might bite! I did not know they made a mini. 
But I think I'll wait a while; I might be working there as a PT retirement job. A friend of mine works there.  I was in the other day and she was clocking in as I was checking out. She told the cashier to "Charge HIM triple! Not just double, but triple!" So I decided I'd better get a job there for the employee discount instead of the "preferred customer triple"!
Seriously, I am considering it; she and I gave each other a lot of crap when we worked together at Cabela's,  so it would be fun working with her again.

Edited by Hick
  • Like 3

On 1/11/2020 at 7:25 AM, Brettw said:

I mounted my tire changer to the concrete floor with removable round headed allen bolts.  I barely notice them on the floor, they are nearly flush, and they are installed with Neversieze so they aren't hard to pull when I mount the changer.  You do have to have a good solid mount, it's amazing how much leverage and torque is used to remove these tires from the wheel.

Hmmmmm . . . .
Like that idea!

• Like 1

You can see 2 of the 3 "place holder" allen screws in this picture, if you look closely.  They are so unintrusive that I don't notice them.  Don't forget, a generous helping of Neversieze between uses, which admittedly is not all that often.

IMG_5965.jpg

• Like 2

I change almost all my tires myself including car and truck tires. For sealing the beads and ease of install I use a product from NAPA called sil-glyde. I smear it on the tire bead as well as the rim bead. Really works well and doesn't cause rust like soap might. Never have bead leaks. For getting the tire bulged out I also use a ratchet strap and have never had one beat me yet. Can be a bugger tho

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651351

Harry

• Like 1