Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

unidentified tractor object

dav-1

i came home from the flywheeler show with a rearend from something simplicity. the chap i got it from had both halves a couple of years ago and it was barely recognizable. said it had been dragged out of the woods with a chain around it.  he unbolted it at the bgb and gave me the back half.

it has the variable drive pulley and operating arm plus belt guide and the side plates are about 3 or 4 inches longer than my fdt's use. the rear lift has arms that curve at the top and one has about an inch and a quarter hole where the rear pto mounts. the shift rod has a bump on it like they thought you might shift it right out the back of the trannie

none of this is compatible with my fdt's. any way to narrow down what i might have? i just want the trannie as a spare. far as i know, all the trannies are the same until the hydro's. i know pics would help but i still haven;t figured out the new camera.

Variable speeds started with the 3000 series and continued on through the 3100, 3200, and 3300 series tractors. The side plates would be 3-4" longer than straight 3 speed tractors, like it sounds like you have already.

Theres a bump on the shift rod to engage a safety switch.

The bigger hole where the rear lift would fit into and the tilller pulleys would go on, would put the
transmission from a 3310v or a 3314v...imo

thanks Sam. included with the back half is a deck. it is obviously a Simp but it has 2 small plastic wheels instead of rollers. i didn't measure it so i don't know if it is a 42 or a 48. did simplicity do away with the rollers? or is this from that time period when they were fighting the law suit and had to make things 'different'?

The 36" decks for the 4xxx had wheels instead of rollers, maybe other models (5xxx, 6xxx) as well. I own a 4108 with a 36" deck.

Edited by dhoadley

Newer Craftsman and Snapper versions of Simplicity Broadmoor, Conquest, and Prestiges are the only larger Simplicity tractors that had wheels on the decks instead of rollers to my knowledge. ....and there were/are  kits available to replace the wheels with a roller bar. Other than that is like dhoadly said above, just those 36" decks.