Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler #30 Carb Question

GardenTrACtorguy

• I am swapping the carb from a k341 to a k361.  I know they are the same carb except for the venturi.  Does the difference in the throttle bore size hinder horsepower?  Will it hurt the engine?  Or is there a way to swap carb jets from each of the carbs since the one is drilled?  Any comments will help.

Many years ago, I did just the opposite. I replaced a K361 18HP OHV with a K341 16HP and used the carb from the 18HP on the 16HP and it ran rich. I had to replace the spark plug often. I would imagine going the opposite way, K341 to a K361 would cause a lean condition.

Put on the carb and adjust it like you would normally.  The smaller Venturi may only hurt for max hp.  Should not affect rich or lean condition.

I ended up putting a jet and main fuel needle as the needle and jet were drilled.  I adjusted the carb, but the governor seems to want to search around and not run smoothly at all.  What am I missing here?

11 hours ago, MikeES said:

Typically a "searching" governor means a lean high speed condition.

Would an engine with a bigger cylinder-bore/piston need a higher octane fuel?  I'm starting to think the carburetor is not the problem.

No, higher octane means that the gas burns slower, needed with high compression engines, nothing to do with size of the piston or stroke.  Your K361 would have to have extensive mods (stroke change, extremely shaved head) to require high octane fuel.

Make sure that all your intake gaskets are in place and not sucking air in after the carb.

First I would check to make sure that the governor arm has not slipped on the governor shaft.  With engine off, loosen the governor arm on the gov cross shaft (do not take off), use a pliers to rotate the cross shaft counterclockwise as far as possible, pull the governor arm away from the carb as far as it will go, and then tighten the nut holding the governor arm to the cross shaft without the shaft rotating.

The factory governor spring setting is 3rd hold from bottom on the governor arm and 2nd hold from the top on the throttle control lever.   To make the governor more sensitive, increase tension move the spring up on the governor arm and conversely move it down on the governor arm to make it less sensitive.

52 minutes ago, MikeES said:

First I would check to make sure that the governor arm has not slipped on the governor shaft. 

I had a Command doing somewhat the same thing, hunting governor and wouldn't hold RPM.  Everything looked OK, but I noticed there wasn't a gap between the "ears" of the governor arm.  Took it off and ran a hacksaw blade between the "ears" to create some space.  Reset the arm to the shaft, problem solved.