Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mystery cab panel

steve-wis

Hello everyone!

I recently bought a cab from a fellow member for my 918H.  He had told me he never had it on a tractor, it had come with a tractor he had bought and he just stored it, never used it.  Well, the cab is on and looking good!  However, there was an extra vinyl panel with it that does not belong with my tractor and cab, as far as I know.  It looks like it would cover the sides of the tractor, enclosing the engine area.  I am posting a few pics of it.  Does anyone know what this would belong to?

There are pics of the tractor and cab in "show and tell" area.

Thanks!

Steve

EDIT  I added the last pics, with markings, number 2142 and the letters MC under it.

cab part 01.JPG

cab part 02.JPG

cab part 03.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

Edited by steve-wis
added more pics

I have a 7100 series hard top cab and an old vinyl top cab and have never seen one of these panels.  Those ties certainly look like the same material that is on the hard top panels, but I can't get my mind around how that would fit anywhere.  

I was thinking like a heat houser too.  You can't see them in the pics, but there is velcro patches along the edges that would be on top of the sides when it is on the tractor, and the ties are on the bottom.  I guess you would tie it to the frame on the bottom, and glue velcro onto your hood for the top to attach?  This would make it possible to open the hood when necessary.  If i lay in on my 918 it is too big, both too long and too tall, so not sure what it might be for.  Maybe a sunstar?  Anyway, it is a mystery to me also.

Thanks for the imput!

Steve

I would say sides for the engine also. My 6140 Allis weather cab has similar pieces for it that have straps that lay across the hood and tie at the bottom frame rail

sides.JPG

Stan, do the straps attach to the velcro on the panels?  That would make sense if that is how it should be.  I didn't get straps, just the panel, but a guy could easily come up with something to work.  It still seems too big for my 918 tho.  

Thanks for the info!

Steve

Steve the straps (2) run from one panel to the other and just lay across the hood and tie along the frame rails at the bottom I can take a better pic if you need it. The hole in mine was for the muffler which comes out the side and goes up

Stan,

So the straps go all the way from frame rail over the hood to opposite frame rail, and then the panels go over them?  For the way this panel is made, I would guess there might be straps with velcro on them and then the panels would attach to the straps with the velcro patches on the panel, and then tie onto the rails with the ties on the bottom edge.  Does this sound about right?

Steve

Here is another pic of the sides with the straps showing. I was incorrect when I said two straps went across the hood there is only one. The picture in the center would be the top of the panels. Two straps went across the bottom of the tractor and hooked on the opposite panel. Two straps also went across the front of the grill and hooked the panel on the opposite side. The hooks were springs that kept tension on the panel. I had said they tied to the frame but I had forgotten that othe parts of the cab tied off to the tractor but not these. To raise the hood which tilts forward also you have to unhook the two straps that go underneath the tractor. On my panels the part closest to the tractor had pins in them to make them rigid and they connected to the main weathercab by clips I believe. I am sure there are a hundred ways to do this but this is how my cab panels are

side straps.jpg

Edited by Stan-Tn
picture correction

Here are a couple more pics, I found these markings on the panel.  Do these mean anything?  Looks like the number 2142 and then under that the letters MC.

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG