Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas in my Oil ???

JDB

I went out to use my Deutz Allis 917H with a Kohler Twin today for plowing snow and had trouble starting.  It tried a couple times and spit oil out of the air filter.  I decided to check the oil and found it was mixed with gas.  How bad is my problem??? 

• Like 1

Drain the contaminated oil. Add fresh oil. Put a shut off in the fuel line before the fuel pump. Remember to always shut the fuel off after using the tractor. This is a common problem and may mean the diaphragm in the pump is perished. If so you can replace it or just bypass the pump and feed the carb by gravity. Let us know how you make out.

• Like 3

Thanks for the response Dave.  It has a shutoff but I must have forgot the last time I used it as it was not turned off.   I have forgotten to shut it off before and did not have an issue.  Learned my lesson now.  I have feeling that it is the diaphragm.  Will there be any damage with this happening?  Do you replace the entire pump or does it have a replaceable diaphragm?

• Like 1

I think you will have to find a pump on EBay. IIRC the diaphragms are no longer available but I could be wrong. Try calling a Kohler engine dealer first.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with a Kohler single fuel pump. The diaphragm was fine but the housing gets warped from tightening the bolts. Took it apart and flattened the flanges with emery paper on a flat surface, I used my cast iron table saw top. Put it back together and works great. I still use the shut off tho. I'll look and see if I can find the link where I found this fix.

Harry

• Like 1

I had that happen to me and it was a bad needle valve seat in the carburetor....but shutting the fuel line off and burning all the fuel is a good idea anyway...it prevents fuel from sitting in the carb and gumming it up...

when you change the oil...don't be cheap, change the filter too...if you have compressed air, blow through the system and catch what you blow out...get it as clean as you can before refilling with clean oil.....before I figure it out I thought I had a blown head gasket and changed that

• Like 1

I have seen gas in oil on a tractor that was parked on an uneven surface before. Fuel shutoff fixed the issue as long as a guy remembered to shut if off when finished cutting. 

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

This morning I have a bunch of oil on the floor of the garage so the problem is going to be bigger than the fuel pump.  I'll have to take a closer look and see where it is coming from.

• Like 1

I have a similar problem on a manual start B & S engine on my wood splitter.  If I don’t turn the fuel off when stopping the engine ( either running the engine until it stops itself, or switching it off with the switch) the cylinder fills with petrol (gas) and i cannot even turn it over.  I put it down to a non seating float vale in the carby, and hasn’t been a priority to dismantle and check it out.

David

A small little piece of dirt will slightly hold the carb float open and slowly drain the gas out of the tank, with or without a good fuel pump.  The fuel pump will not stop the flow of gas through it.

The KT and Magnum twins are the most vulnerable as all the gas goes straight into the engine, so you don't know that it has happened.  The Kohler singles will leak both ways into the engine and out the air cleaner (plus the carb sitting so high you only get gravity feed with a full gas tank), the B&S (with its carb lower than the intake) will leak all outside the engine.

At some point every carb will stick:  Solutions:  Shut off valve, or mount gas tank lower than the carb.

• Like 1

It's not just crud in the bowl...the additives in the gasoline today will cause the seat to become misshapen or eaten away...also...the needle itself, if you look closely more than likely will have a tip made of a material other than metal...whatever it is, you will see if you look through a magnifying glass that a ring develops where it seats itself and that can allow the fuel to pass through...you can actually see the fuel flow through if you take the air cleaner apart and look in...turn the engine off and look in.

I had it happen on a Kohler 12.5 command when I went into my shed one morning I saw the liquid on the floor under the exhaust pipe...I went to start it and a lot blew out against the back of the front tire...that carb was only about 4 years old

• Like 1