Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
jimmystractor

Sovereign 18 Carb Leak?

jimmystractor

So I have a Sovereign 18 with a command. I have noticed that while I am using the tractor for snowblowing, I can smell some fuel. After I am done and it is in the garage, the garage smells horribly of gas for a about a day.  I have an in line fuel shut off and when I shut it off after using it, the smell goes away after a day or two.

I took the air cleaner off and took a look at the carb.  It looks really wet by the solenoid towards the back of the carb.  I took it off just to clean it off.  I am not seeing any leaks in fuel line or anything.  I am guessing the carb is leaking some where?  It runs great....Any help is appreciated.

fishnwiz

Excessive fuel leak while engine is running is dangerous. You really should not have a excessive raw fuel smell while the engine is running. Sounds like a carb bowl gasket leak or fuel tank/line leak. Do you smell gas in the oil?  This engine uses an external fuel pump...correct? You don't see any raw fuel anywhere on the frame or  engine while sitting?

Edited by fishnwiz

ShaunE
13 hours ago, jimmystractor said:

So I have a Sovereign 18 with a command. I have noticed that while I am using the tractor for snowblowing, I can smell some fuel. After I am done and it is in the garage, the garage smells horribly of gas for a about a day.  I have an in line fuel shut off and when I shut it off after using it, the smell goes away after a day or two.

I took the air cleaner off and took a look at the carb.  It looks really wet by the solenoid towards the back of the carb.  I took it off just to clean it off.  I am not seeing any leaks in fuel line or anything.  I am guessing the carb is leaking some where?  It runs great....Any help is appreciated.

There are O-Rings that seal the fuel shut-off solenoid.  Two different sized ones as it has a conical shape.  These are probably bad.  I replaced mine as well last summer as they were dry, hard & weeping fuel.