Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Large frame drive belt tension

rich_kildow

I noticed my 7116 snow pusher surging last time I plowed with it and today found a pretty large amount of play in the drive belt, so it is clearly slipping.  I read through the manual to adjust the brake and clutch, but none of those adjustments seem capable of taking up this much slack.  The big spring on the idler pulley looks ok, and it's on all the pulleys.  I really feel like I'm missing something.  Any advice?

Hydro, or gear jammer?  The pivot bushing on idler for hydro likes to get sticky, or lock up.  Take it apart, may have to press bushing out, clean and install with anti- sieze.

• Like 1

The 7100 drive belt does not need lots of tension.  It does very well with the amount of wrap it has round the pullies to give good belt traction, which is more important than tension.  Tension is hard on shaft bearings and the belt itself.  But as stated above, the idler arm pivot tends to get sticky on the hydro and you will lose tension.  Lots of people don't push the clutch pedal down on a hydro when they start the engine, and then if someone else hops on it and pushes the pedal down, it sticks.