Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JohnFornaro

Electrical problems with 7119H

JohnFornaro

The other fall, my 7119H with the Al Eden designed Wright Way loader decided not to start.  The solenoid wouldn't click, and I swapped it out.  Still no start.  I can hook hte battery directly to the starter positive, and it will turn over.  The wiring diagram in the LFGT repair manual seems incomplete. 

What would be the next troubleshooting tip?  Many thanks as usual!

7119-with-20-Punkins-10-2015-lowest-rez.jpg

MARK (LI)

Does anything work......lights?....I am not sure if there is a fuel pump on that engine...can you hear it if there is one...or solenoid on carburetor?...some systems include a fuse in the starting system...see if there is one and if so if it is good...some tractors require weight in the seat to start...disconnect the plug for the seat switch and check the switch itself for continuity...I am assuming that you have made sure that the battery terminals clean and tight

PhanDad

I believe this is the wiring diagram for your tractor (KT 19 - No IM (Interlock Model):16GTHL_Wire7117_NoIM.jpg.39d09c2bc8b1dfb15bedc9fed458bc41.jpg

IMO, most likely the "start" wire is open somewhere.  And probably one of the "interlock" switches is the cause.   

• Like 1

BLT

You can jump from the battery (+) to the solenoid signal post and if it works, your problem would be narrowed down the on of the three interlock switches.

JohnFornaro

Thanks guys!  I think the prob is one of the interlock switches, seeing how I could go direct to starter.   Tranny, front PTO, or center PTO.  Trouble is, my parts manual doesn't give those part numbers!   I can find one of them on Parts Tree, (forget which one) but not the others.  Dang!

Edited by JohnFornaro
typo

JohnFornaro

Another question, if y'all don't mind  I didn't pay close attention to that extra 4th wire on the solenoid.   Discard it, or attach it to what?

PhanDad
1 hour ago, JohnFornaro said:

Another question, if y'all don't mind  I didn't pay close attention to that extra 4th wire on the solenoid.   Discard it, or attach it to what?

I would think the "extra" wire is the ground wire.  Newer items don't necessarily rely on a "frame ground" from the mounting tab or foot of an item - a separate wire is used and ran to a "good" ground source (instead of a painted or rusty frame connection).  Usually the case (and therefore the mounting tab) of the item is still grounded internally, but not always .  An ohm meter check will tell.  

1 hour ago, JohnFornaro said:

my parts manual doesn't give those part numbers!

I believe the front PTO, center PTO, and Trans interlock switch is the same - part #177522.  

Also on the wiring harnesses for tractors that were designed to use a front PTO kit, there was a connection for the front PTO interlock.  It came with a mating jumper wire that was removed if a front PTO kit was installed.  So even if your tractor doesn't have a front PTO, it's "interlock" can still case grief.

Edited by PhanDad
Spelling