Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10 My first real garden tractor.

sawdoff

First of all I would like to say hi to everyone and thanks to all that post the great pictures and share their knowledge and experiences. I am new to the whole realm of garden tractors but can see how it can be quite addictive. I bought my B10 a couple of weeks ago and have been checking out various forums and have learned a lot is a short amount of time. The pictures I posted were before I stared tearing it apart. It's in pretty good shape other than the engine smokes badly. Runs good. I pulled the head off and the cylinder looks really good. Not a scratch. Do you guys think I could get away with just replacing the rings? It's a B&S 23d type 129 02 ser:89051. After checking on the net I'm having a hard time finding parts and part numbers for this engine. Anyone know of a good source? Thanks for any info. on that. 

feb18 1338.jpg

feb18 1336.jpg

feb18 1337.jpg

feb18 1339.jpg

• Like 2

She is a beaut...best of luck with her....try calling this guy,,,he worked for B & S for a long time and has a lot of NOS...he really helped me and he was very reasonably priced   his name is Mike   and he is in Maryland 443-542-1526

I like those baby moons on the wheels!

Edited by MARK (LI)

I would check the piston and cylinder bore for sizes, taper, and out of roundness.  If they are in spec or even just a bit out of spec, new standard rings should do the job.  If the engine hasn’t been worked on since new I would guess there would be enough wear to require boring the block and finding oversized piston and rings, but you never know.

welcome to the club!!!

steve-wis

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris727 for the offer but I finally found the right one online. I think searching for parts is harder than actually fixing these machines. Thanks steve-wis for the advice. I'll see if I can find specs on the piston size and cylinder bore. I was going to take pics of the cylinder but it"s been sleeting and snowing all day today and I just about wiped out last time I went to the garage. Indoors for the rest of the day. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

• Like 1

Sweet tractor....looks to be very nice condition.

Welcome to the club. You won't find a better bunch of guys who are willing to help out any way they can including talking you into buying several more tractors.

Thanks for sharing pics....We love pics!

Mark

A 23d is hard to get parts for now. If you look for awhile you'll find them on water pumps at fire stations for sale - not used very much but run enough to keep fresh. A lot of guys just ring 'em and put them back together if for show, light yard work, etc. Unless you are going to pull the heck out of it that might work. 

• Like 1