Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 101 restoration

Simplelife

So I built a 16hp Briggs and it looked too good for my machines. So I realized I would have to restore my 101 just so it had a good enough home. Then I got the idea to polish the carb and points cover. Way too many hours later here's where I'm at with it, still blasting and painting but moving along. IMG_0459.thumb.JPG.0a04a28b85438063c37edf2b01af5cdc.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

• Like 1

Nice, I did the same thing back in 2001.  Yours is a little shinier and looks really good.  Did you do any work internally? 

I built mine for pulling in a stock altered class, so I had to keep an OEM carb.  The throttle and choke plate were both knife edged, port and polish (there is a lot of work that can be done to clean up the ports), milled head, 3 angle valve job, fully balanced rotating assembly.  On a 540rpm PTO dyno, using a factory 540PTO drive, my engine would hold a steady 21hp at about 3400-3600RPM.  Governor was set to 5000RPM, but it really didn't run there all that long with a stock cam (per rules) but it would get me some momentum off the line.  It lugged way better than a Kohler at the end of the track.  A Briggs has about a 1 inch longer rod/taller deck than a Kohler and seems to have a bit more torque down low in this trim.

Jan. '01 carb work  1408.jpg

Apr. '01 long block  1430.jpg

Apr. '01 Magnetron  1433.jpg

• Like 3

I ported and polished it the head was shaved about .040" and I deleted the balance gears. Also it was bored .020". I did some porting inside the carb just to improve airflow and eliminate turbulence. 

WOW,  dOd  will be waiting to see the finished product sm03

Carb looks great, lot of work.

Edited by 720nut

On 26/02/2018 at 4:12 AM, PhanDad said:

A lotta love there.

If you have some spare time I have a few items that are looking a little rough.

Yes, looks great!  Well done!  I’m like PhanDad, I too have a few bits that would love some of your sort of TLC!  I’m easy to find, just 16 hours south west of Los Angeles!

• Like 2

All this snow in the northeast keeps me busy plowing and snow blowing with my  landlord 2010 and 73 3416h. No time for painting for a while.