Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Parts question

Hubnut

I'm new to these Kohler engines.  I have a K321S.  I was looking for parts and found entire carburetors for about $25 on ebay??!  I also found new ones for nearly $400 on other sites.  What gives?  Are these prices for real? 

The $20 ones are Chinese imports. Some of them sold directly out of China without even a US middle man. Some people have OK results with them and some people go through two to three of them before they get one that does not leak. I would imagine the $400 ones would be OEM Kohler carbs, new old stock or a Walboro replacement. 

The cheap one is likely one of the Chinese knock offs that are out there now.  I have heard some people say they work fine.  I looked at one at a tractor show last summer, and it looked identical to the original Kohler Carter built carb.  The $400 one is likely an OEM Kohler carb, and may be a Walbro replacement.  I think most people agree, the Kohler(Carter) carb is much better.  It is adjustable and can be tuned much easier.  A throttle shaft replacement kit is still available to replace ones with sloppy throttle shafts.  The throttle lever is NLA, but there may be the possibility that some tractor pulling engine builders have them available.  There were adjustable Walbro carbs, but they don't seem to be as tuneable.  Finally, there were fixed jet Walbro carbs.  I would try a Chinese carb before messing with either Walbro.

As for pistons and rods, there is a wide variance in pricing between cheap Chinese parts and the very high quality OEM parts.  You get what you pay for.  To me, a carb should cost more than $25.  Think of what it takes to make it.  $25 shouldn't cover it, let alone provide profit on it.  Same goes for cheap pistons and rods.

I installed a (I SAVE TRACTORS) carburetor on a kohler 181 and have never had a problem with it. I have a new Walbro carburetor that was on my 7112 and it a was a PIA

Thank you.  I figured they were knock-offs, but whew!  That's a BIG difference in price.  I bought one to see.  It's got to be worth a test. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought a carb and fuel pump.  Both leaked--dripping!  I could not stem the flow.  Trying to return them for my money back.  Lesson learned.  Stick with OEM--"cheap man pays the most."