Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Angry Bear

Hello

Angry Bear

Hey everyone. New to Simple Tractors and just thought I’d say hello. Just picked up a Simplicity Sun Star and figured with would be the place to be for finding parts in the future and whatnot. Looking forward to meeting everyone. 

804006C8-CFE8-48C6-B1A7-60C94A264702.jpeg

• Like 1

fishnwiz

Welcome to the club. ..We have several Sunstar owners and fans in the club. Not sure what parts availability from club members is but you can run wanted ad in the classified section and maybe someone can help you out.

Angry Bear

Well I’m not looking for anything at the moment, but I figured if I need something in the future, I’d probably have better luck here than other places. 

SmilinSam

Welcome to the club.

There a guy whos in here off and on who has been running craigslist ads selling sunstar parts  over here south of the quad cities. He used to have quite a collection of stuff.

Angry Bear

Thanks guys. I guess it never hurts to start stockpiling some parts now. I guess you never know when you need it and then of course you won’t be able to find it. 

Angry Bear
12 minutes ago, MikeES said:

Welcome, looks like a nice tractor, a nice one to have.  dOd

Thanks. I think I did ok on it. 60” deck, the blower, and tire chains and weights. 1500 hours, but the Magnum 20 has been replaced (but do not know how many hours on the new Magnum).  Gave $1200 for it. She fires right up and purrs like a kitten. 

steve-wis

Welcome to the club!  I always thought the Sunstars were nice tractors, but living on a postage stamp lot, it might be a bit of overkill for me.  You will find alot of knowledge here, these guys have bailed me out numerous times over the years.  Hope that Sunstar gives you lots of years of use!

Steve 

Angry Bear
Just now, steve-wis said:

Welcome to the club!  I always thought the Sunstars were nice tractors, but living on a postage stamp lot, it might be a bit of overkill for me.  You will find alot of knowledge here, these guys have bailed me out numerous times over the years.  Hope that Sunstar gives you lots of years of use!

Steve 

I had the same problem. My old house was 750 sq ft. On a half lot. Corner lot. So what little yard I had was eaten up by sidewalks. So mowing with anything but a push mower just didn’t make sense. But we just bought a new place on a 1/2 acre lot, so I finally got to buy a machine. Perhaps the Sunstar with a 60” deck is still overkill, but it’s the tractor I wanted, and found it at what I thought was a reasonable price.  I figure it wouldn’t be hard to find a smaller deck if I need to.  I can’t believe the crap they are selling these days as mowers. The Sunstar is a beast. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Chris727
12 hours ago, Angry Bear said:

Thanks guys. I guess it never hurts to start stockpiling some parts now. I guess you never know when you need it and then of course you won’t be able to find it. 

Welcome to the Club! Yes it never hurts to stockpile parts. I've been known to do that myself, to the extent that I have an "inventory."

gwiseman
17 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Welcome to the Club! Yes it never hurts to stockpile parts. I've been known to do that myself, to the extent that I have an "inventory."

wah (yes he does)

Welcome to the membership Ryan. You'll find a lot of info if you dig & research. Some say nothing that can be done to these old machines hasn't been tried and documented here somewhere. Sunstars were one of those machines that I thought too big for my use but had I gotten started with them instead of the B-series AC I likely would have been hooked. You have lots of machine for the $

• Like 1

Angry Bear

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I’m looking forward to learning about these. I have plenty of automotive background but not a ton of tractor experience. Can’t wait for spring!

CTD01

Welcome! Great machine you bought there! They are super strong and a pleasure to use. I recommend giving it a full service right away. Change engine oil and filter, trans fluid and filter, air filter, fuel filter and a set of spark plugs along with a good grease job. Also a good thing to check are the set screws on the steering spindle. I had a set come loose but luckily it did no harm. Inspect the two drive belts for the front pto while you at it too. One more thing i will say is put a fuel shut off in and use it. I have seen too many times the crankcase fill up with gas and wreck seals. So as far as filter numbers go the engine oil filter crosses to a wix 51348 and I would run a 10w30 . The tranny filter I will have to look up but i was able to get a wix equivalent for that also. As far a fluid I ran regular dex/merc III with no trouble.

Angry Bear
30 minutes ago, CTD01 said:

Welcome! Great machine you bought there! They are super strong and a pleasure to use. I recommend giving it a full service right away. Change engine oil and filter, trans fluid and filter, air filter, fuel filter and a set of spark plugs along with a good grease job. Also a good thing to check are the set screws on the steering spindle. I had a set come loose but luckily it did no harm. Inspect the two drive belts for the front pto while you at it too. One more thing i will say is put a fuel shut off in and use it. I have seen too many times the crankcase fill up with gas and wreck seals. So as far as filter numbers go the engine oil filter crosses to a wix 51348 and I would run a 10w30 . The tranny filter I will have to look up but i was able to get a wix equivalent for that also. As far a fluid I ran regular dex/merc III with no trouble.

Great tips. I appreciate it. However, I have a question. In the Kohler Magnum engine manual, they recommend not using 10w30 oil above 32 degrees. You haven’t had any issues with that?  I was gonna stick with straight SAE 30. Great idea on the fuel shut off though!

CTD01

I ran it all summer in my Sunstar and did leaves in the fall with it didn't burn a drop. Straight 30 is fine also. I Know some other members run 10-30 also with no adverse effects. Oh I also recommend pulling the side covers off the engine and cleaning out the cooling fins. I had a blast with mine! I put a valve off a powermax on there and had a power angle 60 inch blade off a legacy on there. It pushed snow like a champ!

Angry Bear

Awesome. I’m excited to start using it. I’m gonna work on bringing the paint color back pretty soon. Hoping a good buff job will do the trick.