Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 voltage reg

Josiah deshong

Hello everyone my one powermax 4040 is a real hack job was gonna b a parts tractor but here I am. The engine is a nhb series and the voltage regulator I believe came off the generator has anyone seen a regulator like this My voltage is running around 12.5 to 16.5 at a lil over idle it jumps all over help as always is  appreciated 

112AA217-4CE9-4098-B550-A920C8941D38.jpeg

11780854-D530-4BC7-9E00-E83F99CF9A70.jpeg

CE399344-4251-4435-B5EC-7692CEB65D43.jpeg

maybe we’ll see how it comes along thanks   Does the 4040 have a different regulator then the later 620 it looks like it in manual all I can read on mine is prestolite I think and all numbers r gone

Onan used several different charging systems on the CCKA and CCKB line of engines. My 4040 with an original CCKA had the same regulator/rectifier assembly as yours. It was mounted on the lower left side of the engine under the flywheel cover (not under the flywheel). I think you have a 20 amp charging system made by Wico. It looks like engines with spec G, H and J all could have used this charging system.

Here are three common charging systems found on the Onan CCK line of engines:

15 Amp Phelon

15AmpPhelon.thumb.jpg.08ee7701a875fd507e4bd53c53f68c26.jpg

20 Amp Wico

20AmpWico.thumb.jpg.c71486d8e8ff2d96af610f2d1d1d4905.jpg

20 Amp Syncro

20AmpSyncro.thumb.jpg.caa979d68e034c2350a22b41914d8e8b.jpg

Notice that the Syncro system uses a separate regulator and rectifier. This is probably the most common charging system found on the Simplicity tractors.

Also, make sure regulator has a solid ground. I'm not sure if this regulator needs to be grounded but many do. Did you test the voltages with the regulator bolted to the frame or engine?

Sorry, I just saw that you have a NH engine not CCKA. It looks like you have the correct regulator according the NH manual.

onan_nh_charging.thumb.jpg.be272f903bdaaaed6f1b2a408aa802b4.jpg

The manual states that a voltmeter should read 13.4 to 14.05 v across the battery with the engine running at 1800 to 3600 rpm.

Edited by S-A

I definitely have the 20 amp system It matches exact. I was concerned when I got a amp reading over 15 I turn my headlights on and front clutch and this will drop the voltage but it seems to recover quickly. What amp reading would u consider to be to much and if it’s the twenty amp system is there anything I can do to drop it and yes it was bolted to frame I unbolted it to find serial #

Edited by Josiah deshong

I noticed when I tore engine down to clean, the stator was different then my 620 it also was clean like it hadn’t spent anytime on a tractor my 620 stator was unrecognizable with dirt but it works for now it’s the 4040 I’m trying to fix all the P.O. attempts at changing the engine over as clean as possible. Not that this is a linked issue but the nhb motor is a different animal it’s loud and shakes the whole tractor at idle my cckb purrs like a kitten compared to this one and they have the exact same muffler to

The wiring harness on these tractors is marginal but the 20 amp breaker should protect the system is case of an overload. You may be okay at 15 amps with everything turned on. I would guess that the headlights pull about 3 amps each and the clutch probably pulls about 5-6 amps.

Thanks I’ll clean the ground up and recheck it (wicko system) would u happen to know a production year of the nhb onan

Another problem I have maybe u can help does the ccka motor have an intake and carb like this I can seam to get a air filter figured out to fit under the hood. thanks again

E0225805-D88E-4B6A-AA13-20F5DF5FA5F8.png

I rechecked my voltage tonight and it went as high as 17 so Would u guess it’s my regulator unless I have something hooked up wrong, but I’d think it wouldn’t work at all if it was wired wrong 

I'm not familiar with the NHB engines but the intake manifold and carburetor look similar to a CCKA. Here is what a CCKA looks like in a 616.

001.jpg.0544f103dc02fe467f9c81ec16eeb487.jpg

002.jpg.c00427af66d1591c073d88b11224f9f9.jpg

22 minutes ago, Josiah deshong said:

I rechecked my voltage tonight and it went as high as 17

17 volts is too high. The regulator is probably the culprit if you double checked the wiring.