Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gerg

Homemade mid-mount blade

Gerg

Finished building my mid-mount blade, tested on both 7117 Simplicity and 446 Case. Its was designed for the Simplicity and adapted to the Case. It pivots 0 to 25 degrees up and down both ways and 25 degrees front to back both ways. Work good on both tractors.

Greg

IMG_20180307_122920891.jpg

IMG_20180307_122936280.jpg

IMG_20180307_160719888.jpg

IMG_20180307_160845908.jpg

IMG_20180307_161016335.jpg

IMG_20180307_161254195.jpg

• Like 5

spi

Good fabrication, looks like it is heavy enough to get the job done. How about some closer pics. of the adjustment details please.

Thanks

Jim

• Like 1

720nut

Welcome I have a simple question as most blades are solid mount with angle pin, why the pivot ? just curious.

Nice job

• Like 1

Gerg

Attached are some close up photos. The answer to the question  "why a pivot"  There are 4 reasons:

1 - To adjust out imperfections such as twist in the mounting frame and tractor height differences. If I am running a fixed level blade then I park it on level concrete and adjust so the blade is even all the way across.

2- One of the advantages of Simplicity and AC tractors is that the mounting for the attachments moves with the pivoting front axle which is good in most cases but not so much with a blade. By taking the stop bolts out completely letting the blade  full float eliminates  blade lift when one of the front tires rides over a hump. I have used it in limited float ant it works great.

3 - The blade when pivoted at an angle works good for tapering the edge of the driveway.  

4 - I am going to build a dirt go kart track with banked corners, with the blade fixed at an angle it will continually build up dirt around the corners increasing the bank height. (probably easier said than done) 

IMG_20180308_164609257.jpg

IMG_20180308_164646665.jpg

IMG_20180308_164724743.jpg

IMG_20180308_164823503.jpg

• Like 1

PhanDad

Great work.

A lot of thought went into that design.

You'll have to share pics of the go kart track when you complete it.

• Like 1

Gerg

Thanks to all of the replies. I am in the process of building a tooth bar attachment for the blade to loosen up hard packed gravel ( if it ever gets hard, frost moister is still coming up).

Greg 

• Like 1

Chuck Mallory 917

Thanks for the close ups.  I just started building one for my 1985 917 Hydro.  I found an old drag in my woods and plan on using that to make a raker tooth section that will flop down from a locked position to break things up before grading.

Edited by Chuck Mallory 917
  • Like 1

Manty

Hey Greg - really like the center pivot on the grader blade.  It would really help in putting a crown on a driveway.

I would also like to see the toothed bar attachment when you get it - I've been thinking of making a ripper attachment to my stock blade to loosen up the driveway.  It would be great to have an attachment that would go on & off easily when needed... a update to the much loved 'Dutch Blade'

• Like 1