Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

It's been a while since I've been here

BrownA

I finally worked on my AC B210 today. Today I put my engine back on the tractor after rebuilding it. I have rebuilt other small engines so I am not knew to this. When I rebuilt the engine I replaced the armature ( B&S part # 298968 ) and I replaced my points and condenser ( B&S part #'s 298185 points and 298060 condenser ). My engine is the 10 hp Briggs model 243431 0123-01-7003101 and it ran decent before I took it apart. Prior to trying to start it today I checked the spark and it had a nice crisp blue spark, what I would say was a good spark. When I went to start the engine it wouldn't fire and I checked the spark to discover I no longer had a spark. I rechecked the points and even tried the old ones again but don't have a spark. I checked the spark both with a spark tester and a plug just to make sure it wasn't one of them. I am not sure what to do next. I don't want to pull the engine out unless I absolutely have to. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for any help, Al

Hi Al, the next thing I would do is to remove the ignition kill wire from the top of the point box. Test the ignition with this lead disconnected. If you have ignition then, the problem is with the switch. If this does not work, run a piece of 600 grit paper through your points. Make sure to only pull the paper through until you reach the end, Do Not let the points snap shut. If this happens, a samll piece of the sandpaper may get "bit" off and prevent ignition. Spray off the ponts with mild carb choke cleaner. Then use a clean piece of white paper to run through the points. Make sure to not pull this through and let the points snap shut. Test the ignition again. If this does not work, time to pull the engine. It was mentioned in an earlier post that the flywheel sometimes does not seat correctly on the crank. It could be that this has happened and it is out of time with the points. Most importantly!! Do not try to start the engine with the kill wire disconnected. If for some reason the governor was out of adjustment, or malfunctioned, the rpm will destroy your rebuild. Hope this helps. Neal Pierce

Hi Al, welcome back. I assume you replaced the flywheel key. Disconnect the wire to the ignition switch at the points and try it. If still no spark, check the wire to the armature with a meter.

It does sound like your points are dirty. You may be able to convert to electronic ignition. Sometimes just using a dollar bill on the points (close the points with the dollar between them and then pulling it out) does an excellent job on cleaning them. I am assuming that you already have the motor mounted on the tractor and dont want to take it off. Make sure that you dont have a wire that is grounding out somewhere also. I had a problem with spark on my 12 and found that I had a bare place in the wire and it was grounding out (acting as a kill switch). ddh

If for some reason your magneto has died, as mine did, you can set this engine up to run with battery ignition as most Kohler engines do. I have one of the 243431 engines on one of my tractors with the points connected to a coil from a Kohler. The mag has been removed. This engine has been running great for years this way.