Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Magneto help

Hubnut

My EZVac vacuum engine (B&S 4hp) does not make spark.  I cleaned the magneto pick-ups and magnets, but still no spark.  I pulled the mag and it has infinite continuity.  I'm assuming it is toast.  This mag was hard wired in.  I had to cut the wire to get it off.  Will any old mag do here?  Or do I need a special one?  This is from the late 70s.  Good supplier?  Oh, I couldn't find any numbers on the mag either.

DSCN6781.JPG

DSCN6783.JPG

DSCN6784.JPG

DSCN6785.JPG

Looks like the same (or very similar) mag as used on the cast iron 16HP Briggs single cylinder engine.

Get the nameplate info off the engine and then you'll be able to get a parts manual for it and find the part number of the msg you need. 

That engine has points under the flywheel. Putting a magnetron coil on it would be the simple way to go. Being that its only a 5hp you can switch to the magnetron without having to have your flywheel re-polarized. 

9 hours ago, Chris727 said:

That engine has points under the flywheel. Putting a magnetron coil on it would be the simple way to go. Being that its only a 5hp you can switch to the magnetron without having to have your flywheel re-polarized. 

Thank you.  Do I just google magnetron?  Or is there a certain one I need to get for my application?

Just go to a B&S dealer. They can help you, I just put a magnetron on a 12hp B&S runs like a champ. Don't have to be re-polarized any more. Good luck