Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 720 acquired needs rebuild.

ten-ring

Welcome to the site guys. Lots of good info and advice here ten-ring. Just ask. Someone will reply. Also; did I mention----WE LIKE PICTURES. The more the better.

Thanks guys for all the welcomes. I  actually  was given this 720 about 5 years ago from a friend. Thats right, GIVEN. I mowed my yard twice with it and thought it would need quite a bit of work to get it back into really good shape so I just parked it. Two weeks ago someone asked if I would sell it so I started to do some research on it and found this site. You guys can be very inspiring and adicting about these old machines. Guess I'm hooked. Got to get it going and use it. First thing to fix are the front wheels. Won't hold air. 20 x8.00 x10. Wheels are rusted from the inside. I've cleaned most of the rust  and filling in the holes with brass, and then plan to use POR 15 or  similar , any better suggestions other than just going with tubes? (Tubes don't work too well  in our  area due to all the stickers and sand burrs.)  Ten-ring

SimpleOrange
1 hour ago, ten-ring said:

Thanks guys for all the welcomes. I  actually  was given this 720 about 5 years ago from a friend. Thats right, GIVEN. I mowed my yard twice with it and thought it would need quite a bit of work to get it back into really good shape so I just parked it. Two weeks ago someone asked if I would sell it so I started to do some research on it and found this site. You guys can be very inspiring and adicting about these old machines. Guess I'm hooked. Got to get it going and use it. First thing to fix are the front wheels. Won't hold air. 20 x8.00 x10. Wheels are rusted from the inside. I've cleaned most of the rust  and filling in the holes with brass, and then plan to use POR 15 or  similar , any better suggestions other than just going with tubes? (Tubes don't work too well  in our  area due to all the stickers and sand burrs.)  Ten-ring

Sounds like the 720 fell into capable hands, hope you get the old girl back in tip top condition.

These old Allis / Simplicity lawn and garden tractors are like jeans made from hemp they never wear out.

macallis180

On my very tired 720  that I bought a year ago, apparently the unit was working for the state of Iowa on some highway projects, and they put on a set of forklift solid rubber tires on the front that have a tread pattern in them.  Really turns easy with the loader on,  but BEWARE if you hit a rock or curb - snaps the steering wheel quite quickly.  Would be the cure if you were having to worry about thorns and such, tho.

• Like 2