Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
HubbardRA

Shuttle Drive?

HubbardRA
OK I just have to ask. I have two tractors, one with a three speed and one with a hydro. Will somebody please explain to me what a "Shuttle Drive" is? I am new on this site and trying to learn the terminology. Rod

johnmonkey
Type in "shuttle" on the word search of discusssion items. I did not know what a shuttle drive until I read previous discussions about them. It looks like you either love them or hate them depending on what side of the fence your on. John H

MikeES
The Shuttle transaxle is almost the same as the the 3-speed transaxle, except the reverse gear has been removed and replace with a 4th forward gear. The reverse is handled outside the transaxle with a differential system. As stated above the system works in that you can shift back and forth from forward to reverse without using a clutch. But there is no variable speed and reverse is the same speed and forward. The system does work pretty good for mowing especially around trees when you need to back up a lot. BUT it will not hold a candle to a hydrostatic drive. It was dubbed the "poor man's hydro", as it was a less expensive option than the hydro. I have all systems but the old Hi-Lo range of the early 60s tractors. (3-speed, shuttle, variable, 6-speed, Vickers hydro, and Sunstrand hydro) My favorite = Vickers hydro. Mike S.