Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Angry Bear

Stupid question

Recommended Posts

Angry Bear

Ok fellas...where’s the fuel filter on a Sunstar 20 (Magnum)?  I’ve looked high and low, not seeing one. The fuel line looks relatively new...I suspect someone replaced the line and omitted the filter. Thanks for any info 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CarlH

I suspect you are right. 666  All I've seen are in the fuel line between the firewall and carb.  Good place for a shut off also.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Angry Bear

Thanks guys. Put a filter in-line there. Also installed a shut off. I drained the oil and there was definitely fuel in there. So I’ll run the new oil and filter for a little bit then change it again. It had been suggested earlier also that I install a shut off. Is this a common thing with Sunstars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steve-wis

Looking hard, not seeing any stupid question.  :)  The Kohlers are famous for gas in the oil, they all should have a shut off on them.  I have one on every tractor  I own or have owned, except for my Allis T816 with a 19.5 hp briggs transplant.  It never had one and is not a problem so I haven't put one on it yet, but now that I am thinking about it, I think I will put one in this spring when I take them all out and clean them up for summer.

 

Steve

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Angry Bear

I guess I’m used to some of the other automotive forums I’ve tried in the past. Some of those guys can be cutthroat. I appreciate the kindness. 

Now, those of you with shut offs, are you closing the valve and letting the engine run out of fuel, or just closing it after the engine is shut off?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhanDad

My standard procedure is to shutdown the engine and then close the fuel valve.

However, on my 7016H with 16HP Briggs, the float needle passes more than a bit, so on that one, I turn the fuel valve off first, then shutdown the engine.  (No gas in oil with Briggs since the carb's down low on the side, but it sure is smelly if I forget to turn off the fuel shutoff and the gas puddles on the floor.

Also, IMO, for my Command engines, I think the engine has to crank too long if you run it dry, so I'm NOT a believer in running them dry.

  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeES

Typically the Magnums and Kohlers are not much of an issue with the Sunstar with the gas tank in the back.  I have a shut off on all my tractors and I use them after I shut down the engine.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CarlH
1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

My standard procedure is to shutdown the engine and then close the fuel valve.

However, on my 7016H with 16HP Briggs, the float needle passes more than a bit, so on that one, I turn the fuel valve off first, then shutdown the engine.  (No gas in oil with Briggs since the carb's down low on the side, but it sure is smelly if I forget to turn off the fuel shutoff and the gas puddles on the floor.

Also, IMO, for my Command engines, I think the engine has to crank too long if you run it dry, so I'm NOT a believer in running them dry.

  

Good way to get shutdown without a backfire on the Commands is to wire a Normally On momentary Off switch into the wire going to carb idle stop solenoid.  That way you can shut off the fuel to kill the engine but leave the bowl full so you don't need a long crank before starting it up.  Also the latest rev head gaskets are much less likely to blow from a backfire.

Edited by CarlH
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Angry Bear

Do the Magnums have the backfire issues?  I haven’t experienced it on mine in the short time I’ve owned it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CarlH
1 hour ago, Angry Bear said:

Do the Magnums have the backfire issues?  I haven’t experienced it on mine in the short time I’ve owned it. 

The Commands run leaner fuel mixtures due to emissions requirements and have more backfire issues than earlier engines.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Angry Bear

 

8 minutes ago, CarlH said:

The Commands run leaner fuel mixtures due to emissions requirements and have more backfire issues than earlier engines.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rich_kildow
19 minutes ago, CarlH said:

The Commands run leaner fuel mixtures due to emissions requirements and have more backfire issues than earlier engines.

I wonder if this is why my 22hp Predator always backfires without shutting the fuel off first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×