Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7117 Resoration

mcd

I had an ongoing thread located here while I was working on this project. I was planning to edit the first post on that thread but wasn't able to edit it so I am making a new post now that I'm all finished. I can't thank you guys enough for helping me throughout all the problems I ran into. This was certainly a learning experience. I'm happy to have everything all done now that mowing season is right around the corner. 

Here are all the pictures I took during the project.

_1.jpg

_60.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gerg said:

Looks nice, you did a good job. are you going to get it dirty?

Greg

There's no way around it getting dirty. I'll just try to hose it down every now and then.

Nice work; I bet you're glad it's finally done.

But...

4 hours ago, mcd said:

I'll just try to hose it down every now and then

The deck especially doesn't like water.  Compressed air or even the shop vac blowing it off is much better.

Let me know if you want a whole set of decals. I bought a complete set for a 7119 that a I never used. PM me if interested!

Didn't stay clean very long. We finally got some snow in VA so I put the blower on for the first time. Then found out the snow was too wet to blow so I used it as a plow.

snow blower.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcd said:

Then found out the snow was too wet to blow so I used it as a plow.

Being near Philadelphia, I'm very used to wet snow. With the single stage snowblower, if the surface is slick (think seal coated driveway) and there's a thin layer of "slush" at the surface (which there usually is with a wet snow), the blower will act as a plow and push the snow ahead of it.  Then it'll stop and the blower will be shock loaded with a load of snow.  Not so good for the belt.

My solution (after the first painful pass) is to use a partial width pass at a high speed - that usually keeps the blower uniformly loaded.  

We don’t seem to get fluffy snow anymore in southern pa  , always wet and heavy. It seems like there’s a lot of blowers for sale for that reason just to much of a pain to keep from clogging.

I have been using these 42” single stage throwers for almost 40 years, and I have yet to plug one.  I have thrown pure slush, and have experienced the same thing as Phandad.

Throwing slush, the spout would temporarily plug,    but it would clear itself, as I kept moving forward.

Maybe just lucky.

Looks like you did a really nice job with it...good luck using it...hope it gets a lot of use...without showing it

• Like 1

Last snowfall we had, my 42” blower was clogging constantly. The snow was heavy and perfect for making snowballs. I sprayed some fluid film in the chute and that really helped.

I removed the potato masher like guard located at the throat of the chute to keep it from plugging. I have not had a plugging issue since. Just do not stick your hand in the chute while running. Only stupid people would take this kind of risk.

On 3/25/2018 at 5:46 AM, Bill725 said:

Only stupid people would take this kind of risk.

My first ambulance call Febraury 24, 1992.

As a rookie, I had to remove the glove with the finger tips still inside!

31 minutes ago, ShaunE said:

My first ambulance call Febraury 24, 1992.

As a rookie, I had to remove the glove with the finger tips still inside!

I bet he didn’t make that mistake a second time. 

On 3/24/2018 at 11:41 PM, jimmystractor said:

Last snowfall we had, my 42” blower was clogging constantly. The snow was heavy and perfect for making snowballs. I sprayed some fluid film in the chute and that really helped.

What kind of fluid did you spray in it?

Jimmystractor was referring to the brand name "fluid film". Its sold at most autoparts stores etc. by all the other wd40 pb blaster stuff,  its about $10 a can or can be purchased by the gallon or drum. I've never tried it for that use but have used it in many ways. I know of landscapers who use it to coat all their plow equipment and have seen video's of people coating the chassis of their vehicles.

On 3/18/2018 at 8:44 PM, mcd said:

I had an ongoing thread located here while I was working on this project. I was planning to edit the first post on that thread but wasn't able to edit it so I am making a new post now that I'm all finished. I can't thank you guys enough for helping me throughout all the problems I ran into. This was certainly a learning experience. I'm happy to have everything all done now that mowing season is right around the corner. 

Here are all the pictures I took during the project.

_1.jpg

_60.jpg

I just got a 7116 and I’m thinking about restoring it. My first ever restore. 

17 hours ago, Cmbtmedic said:

I just got a 7116 and I’m thinking about restoring it. My first ever restore. 

It took me about 2 months probably. This was my first restore as well. Take lots of pictures so you know how to put it all back together! Good luck and be sure to share your pictures with us.