Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

steve-wis

searching for.......

steve-wis

Hello guys!

I have a friend who is new to the area, was a big city guy before, and now has a few acres to play on.  He wants to garden and is convinced that he wants a two-wheeled tractor to work the ground.  He would be wanting implements also, assuming a plow, disc, maybe a cultivator.  He has found new models (not sure the brand) and tells me they run new over $5000.00.  Anyway, I am going to try to help him find a decent deal on an older one.  Not looking for a collector model, just a good running worker.  Anyone have anything like that they want to part with, or maybe some suggestions on where to start looking?  I am going to do a craigslist search, but I haven't seen anything like this in a long time on there.  Any help, info, etc is as always, greatly appreciated!

Steve

• Like 1

steve-wis

Don't know alot of our members by name, more by handle on here.  I did a search for Dan Lonnen in members and there is none.  Who is this?

steve-wis

Never mind, brain fog here, I know who Rokon is, but when I put the name in the search area for members, it didn't find it for some reason.

720nut
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, steve-wis said:

Never mind, brain fog here, I know who Rokon is, but when I put the name in the search area for members, it didn't find it for some reason.

Sorry Steve I know more by there first name than user name and just assume everyone else does to. 

• Like 1

steve-wis

Yes, I did pass that link along but I think he is thinking a bit cheaper.  Never realized those things were getting harder to find.  I remember stopping in at Al Edens many years ago and he had a building full of all two wheel tractors and attachments, said he would sell the whole thing for $500 if someone would use them, he didn't want to throw it all out.  Now I wish I had taken him up on the offer, at least a small part of it.

gwiseman
1 hour ago, steve-wis said:

Yes, I did pass that link along but I think he is thinking a bit cheaper.  Never realized those things were getting harder to find.  I remember stopping in at Al Edens many years ago and he had a building full of all two wheel tractors and attachments, said he would sell the whole thing for $500 if someone would use them, he didn't want to throw it all out.  Now I wish I had taken him up on the offer, at least a small part of it.

Al is missed by us all. I stopped in twice and bought some things from him too but should have loaded a trailer. 

Steve, there are several 2-wheeler guys around but not as many in our club as there once were. I think Rich Nolte aka B-16_IC either has or knows someone in Western IL who does. 

B-16_IC

Huh ? Did someone mention me? &:)

I started with walkers and I'm getting slowly back into them. Just easier to do garden work with them as long as you can walk. My neck has too much arthritis to watch a cultivator that's behind me. sm02

Personally I would steer clear of Gravely. They are an awesome well built machine, I've had them. But, they are as heavy as a large frame it seems when you need to move a non running one. And they ride on the same size tires as the fronts on a B-10 or similar which compounds that problem. 

David Bradley are good and plentiful but the clutch can be problematic if not right. My suggestion, are you ready? SIMPLICITY! Shocked? They all clutch with belt tention which is reliable, and they are easily repowered with modern easily found engines if need be. Attachments are everywhere, and pretty universal. The same cultivator works on a 2 1/2 horse model L and a 7 1/4 horse W.

Close second would be Planet Junior, but they tend to command a higher price which puts them in second place for me. I hope that's not too windy, I can talk gardening equipment for hours if allowed to. C|:

• Thanks 1

wwbragg
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, steve-wis said:

Dan Lonnen in members and there is none.  Who is this?

I think you mean rokon2813.  He is a very good source and very informative and helpful.

• Like 1