Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

22NF batteries

BLT

For quite a while they were almost non existent in my area. I notice that my local farm store has them for $56.00.

Just passing on some info.

group22nf.jpg

• Like 3

That's a good deal.

$100 for a poorly rated Exide at TSC (only "farm store" around).

So don't hold back, what's your local store?

1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

That's a good deal.

Mills Fleet-Farm and Blain's Farm - Fleet would pretty well cover the Midwest. Yes and somewhere at one time there were family ties as each store carried FF products same FF logo, but over the years there has been separation.

3 hours ago, PhanDad said:

That's a good deal.

You can say that again...

I have bought Excides at tsc for sevaral years now and wont be buying any more. Got a little over a yaer out of one, and a hair over 2 years out of 2 others. The other 4 are in their 3rd years. Not holding my breath either...

17 minutes ago, SmilinSam said:

I have bought Excides at tsc for sevaral years now and wont be buying any more. Got a little over a yaer out of one, and a hair over 2 years out of 2 others. The other 4 are in their 3rd years. Not holding my breath either...

Sam, there might be a store your way.  https://www.farmandfleet.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpKriseyD2gIVgz2BCh0zvgJnEAAYASAAEgIGsfD_BwE

5 hours ago, BLT said:

For quite a while they were almost non existent in my area. I notice that my local farm store has them for $56.00.

Just passing on some info.

group22nf.jpg

I failed to mention. Price quoted with your old battery cercus, otherwise it's $10 more.

Don't have any of them in Missouri. We have Rural King which has Exide. I buy the 51R's when they are on the day after thanksgiving 25% off sale. Get them for around $45 with a much better warranty because they are an automotive battery. 

Always buy the 22's at Farm and Fleet.  I think the only difference between them and a 51R is the flanges at the bottom of the case?

We had an Exide battery plant here in Burlington until about 15 years ago, one of the major employers in our area. went to Mexico. battery quality decrease can be traced from there on. I still remember a conversation with one of the old timers back then and he told me "We have the technology to make a battery last 30 years- but we wouldn't want to do that now would we?". Not sure if he was exaggerating  some but I bet they can make em last a whole lot longer than we are getting out of them now. I just bought one for the car and got the "gold" Chinese made  top of the line, parts store guy said 4 years tops .Anybody familiar with the new fiberglass ones ? I heard if they can get those mastered production can be brought back to the US.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, Brettw said:

Always buy the 22's at Farm and Fleet.  I think the only difference between them and a 51R is the flanges at the bottom of the case?

The 51R does NOT have the flanges to hold the battery down with the stock hold down system.  With a 51R you will need to create a different hold down.

Bob, I've just been going to my local auto junk yard to buy used batteries for the vehicles/tractors. And at ~~ $20.00 a pop (and with a 90 day  guarantee) it's hard to beat; load and voltage tested. You can't even get a Wally World new battery for less than $100.00 it seems these days.

Tom (PK)

Japanese Yuasa batteries are the best.  The battery in my motorcycle lasted for 13 years.  It was the OEM battery!   There are many other verified users of the same battery getting 10 to 15 years out at those batteries.  But, when it died, it was over night. 

Ken

Your results on Yuasa batteries.  My son's yuasa battery OEM in his new 2016 Triumph failed yesterday. Sat on wood shelf in basement over the winter.  Yesterday tried to start, no go.

Maybe he just got a bad one, or like a lot of other things, the quality ain't what it used to be.

Edited by GregB

I started using "Battery minder" brand battery chargers/maintainers. If you buy the larger model (small in size) you can keep many batteries maintained at once with splitters, they also sell extensions. Amazon has all these options available. My dads battery in his tractor has been dead for a few years now but as long as I have the charger plugged in it always starts, I can turn it off and it will still start but if I don't have the battery charger on it the following week it will be dead

Found out today your batteries from Fleet and Exide are china made. I  have a dealer in Omro  with Ironsides made in USA at 63.00 so I bought two.

On 3/23/2018 at 9:37 PM, SmilinSam said:

X3. I’m getting at least twice the life out of the small lawn and garden brand of battery that Menards sells versus the Exide 51R that I used to spend the bigger money on.  I just took one of those little 300 CCA batteries in as my core… It finally wouldn’t hold a charge. It is dated 2007. Based on that, I’m thinking it was the first battery I ever bought for one of my tractors.

Right now there is an a battery sold locally that I am confident buying in a type 22 or 51.  We don’t have fleet farm here.