Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big 10 Mag

brampton02gt

Hi everyone, I am placing a new mag on the Big 10 and I seem to have a problem.  The spark plug wire is to short to follow the proper routing.  Did i place the mag on correctly- I put the labelled"cylinder side" toward the cylinder head.  If I flipped it around it might be long enough.

thanks, curtis

big10mag.thumb.jpg.b8f4061d0a9e01cfad383210c0035e3d.jpg

If the mag mounts the same way as it does on a later model 16HP Briggs, then I believe it's mounted correct (since the plug wire goes out under the tin on the carb side, you would think the plug wire would be on the carb side, but it doesn't).  

However, that looks like a "magnetron" coil - the kind that's used with point-less ignitions.  If the engine is original and you didn't convert it, I believe that's the wrong coil.  

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will confirm both my comments.  

• Like 1

I replaced the coil on one over the winter.  Same problem.  I had bought a Briggs branded replacement part.  Wire to short.  I ended up buying a aftermarket part from Jacks Small engine.  Wire was the correct length.

Maybe that is the correct Briggs coil.  I'm used to them being yellow without the extra "lump" (by the left leg in the above pic).

Briggs did a really stupid thing (IMO) when they designed the 9-16 HP cast iron engines ignition system; flipping the coil mounting over 180 degrees then making the magnets reverse polarity so it worked like all their other series engine models.

Tom (PK)

It is definitely a magnetron coil. For that style of coil to work you will likely need to have the flywheel "repolarized." To do so you ship the flywheel to Briggs and Stratton and they will install new magnets at no charge. 

I think it is the right coil based on the serial number.  The one I took off was yellow but it was flipped around the other way so the wire fed out on the left side.  If it is wrong what should the coil look like?

Edited by brampton02gt

Based on the serial number it is a 298968 armature magneto which I have unless they shipped the wrong one in the box.  The later ones use 398811 according to Briggs.   The magnetron ignition kit is listed as 394970 and looks quite different in the parts book.

Edited by brampton02gt