Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiny Tach

MPH

Know this was discussed before but I'll ask again, does a tiny Tach read correct on a CCKA/B? or am I reading half the rpm? thanks MPH http://a7.cpimg.com/image/77/FB/9396087-546c-028001E0-.jpg

MPH, Ihave one on a 2 cyl Briggs....wrapped the wire around just one plug wire and it reads real RPM. Now I do not remember if there are 2 versions, one for a 2 cyl and one for a 1 cyl. Ken W

Marty most Tiny Tachs read of the number of sparks as a revolution. So a 2 cycle engine, a Briggs with a Magneto, or Magnatron, a Kohler with electronic ignition all fire on every revolution. The Kohlers with external coils fire on the the compression stroke only or once every other revolution (TinyTach reads 1/2 rpm). I have seen the small tachs (not for sure if it was a TinyTach) that work on battery ignition systems. Now the 64,000 question? What is your Onan? I don't know for sure. (All that and you didn't get your question answered) Good Luck! Mike S.

Mike. the onans fire both plugs at the same time, thus no distributor. Kinda got use to running as it was set now to learn it was idling at 2250, adjusted it down to 1250 and seems to be fine, just sounds so slow now. the governor seems pretty hell bound bent to stay on idle, havn't gotten a grip on that yet..MPH

Marty, I have an M20 Kohler in my 917 pulling tractor this is an opposed twin with electronic ignition and the TinyTach work great on it. This engine and the KT17 that came in the 917 both ran like *&% until I went through the governor adjustments (by the book). They instantly ran great, and was able to fine tune with the carb adjustments. Don't try to adjust a carb until the gov. works, unless you like chasing your tail. Good Luck! Mike S.

Marty, Simplicity may still sell an OEM hour meter. Heres' the site for Tiny Tach, and SenDEC, and Hobbs. Also, Jack's sells meters. Make sure you know if the meter you select runs on 12 volts (off the tractor), a replaceable battery, or is a "trow away".

MPH, From all the reading I've done on the Tiny Tach I believe they make different versions for the conditions you describe. One for single cylinder engines and one for 2 cylinder. I think the one you want is for a single cylinder. Best to go to their web site and see what you'd need. I know I was looking around on it one time and they have it all figured out for which one you need for each engine. The link is in one of the previous posts. If you're reading somewhere around 3600-3800 rpm at full throttle you should be OK. It looks like a nice tach but to make it disposeable after 5-6 years because you can't replace the battery in them is to bad. Sandy

Sandy, I agree with you on the disposeable problem but I haven't heard of anything else made to put on these small tractors. Have you???MPH

I think I did see one other tach/hourmeter somewhere recently (maybe on eBay). Can't remember if it was battery operated now though (making it disposeable after it wore out). I can't believe they can't develop one that hooks up to 12 volt somehow. I could live with just the hourmeter alone if I can ever find them. Years ago I was told to go to an account where we had about 25 refrigerated trailers with hour meters the boss wanted replaced. I guess it looked better at trade-in time. I asked him what to do with all the hour meters after I was done. He told me to throw them away. Yeah right!! Sandy

Take a look at this, no battery. Andrew[A href='http://www.jackssmallengines.com/hour_meter.cfm']http://www.jackssmallengines.com/hour_meter.cfm[/a]