Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Never dismiss the junk as junk without checking....

SmilinSam

Last summer I bought a early 716H at auction for $5.  It was in two pieces missing the bevel gearbox and the pto assembly. Frame and body was heavily rusted/faded from sitting outside for years and the tires were all checked bad.

medium.DSCN1198.JPG.02703a20b94f2ef3e3d1

I bought it mainly for  the front clutch linkage that was still on it and some other odds & ends small parts . Engine appeared to be locked up and tranny was caked with dried oil.

medium.DSCN1207.JPG.c5dd250838b9534135f0

Well now months later I was in need of a engine pan to convert another 16 Kohler from a Deere to a Simplicity. I pulled the engine out and   big fat mouse ran out from under the shroud.  Hmmmmm....

Pulled the shroud off and  it was packed tight with mouse house debris, not to mention the whole bottom of the shroud had rusted completely away. Cleaned everything away and spun her around. This engine has better compression than some of the ones I'm using in tractors now! Pretty sure its going to be a good one.  Going to throw it on the engine stand and throw a carb, starter and charging system on it and see what it does.

And here I dismissed it as junk going to rob parts off it like the previous owner had done. Shame on me...dz

I'm wondering if the tractor gear box bit the dust and they went to fix it and for one reason or another just never followed through?

Give me a couple weeks and I'll come back and post some results of running it on he stand.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 4

Makes me smile! Many years ago I bought a "parts car" for a restoration, sight unseen. After it was delivered I looked at it, messed around with a few ignition things and it fired right up. Ended up driving it for three years before I used it for parts!

• Haha 1

Chris727

Awesome price!  And if you looked around my shed you'd see I have a problem with "not dismissing" the "junk."

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 1

Brettw

More than once I have bought a tractor for parts and ended up fixin' er up.  Some, a complete "restore".   Those are the accomplishments that make it hard to actually part out a tractor.  Still have one that's been parked for 3 years in the garage waiting to be restored.