Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Huffy62

Sunstar Speed Control Lever

Huffy62

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and was looking for some help. I have a Sunstar 20HP Hydro, model # 1692456 that I got several years ago. The problem is the ground speed control lever doesn't do anything anymore. It moves up (forward) and down (reverse), but the tractor doesn't move  (It did always drift a bit in neutral.)

The engine runs fine and the PTO and 60" mower deck work OK. The 2-speed axle shift also appears to work (in that I can put it in neutral to push the tractor).

I'm not much of a mechanic and was planning to take it to a shop if necessary, but before I do:

1) Is tearing this apart to fix it very labor intensive?

2) Are parts still available for these tractors?

3) Is there anything I can do to see if it's something relatively simple that I could fix myself?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have!

Tractors N' Football

1) Being labor intensive would depend on what they would have to tear apart

2) Parts are available on eBay and Craigslist with a little patience and persistence

3) Try tracking where the linkage is routed and if possible have someone move the lever well you watch the linkage and if nobody can help, try rigging up a piece of rope or something so you can move it while looking at all the linkage. And if it's a tight space try seeing if you can record with a phone or small camera of some sort. 

CTD01

Hi and welcome, I would first check fluid level in the trans. The inspection tube is a clear hose in the rear of the tractor. If you dont have a repair manual for the tractor I believe its in the downloads section of this site. If fluid is full the next step would be to pull the right hand side covers and see if linkage is hooked up and in proper working order. If thats good move you way to the rear of the trans and make sure linkage is all well and good back there. I was going to say check you hi lo and make sure it is engaged but it looks like you already did that.   Do those checks and report back.

BLT

With engine running, does the "Neutral" light do off when you move the lever?

And if you lift tunnel cove up, you should be able to see link, item 26, move back and forth when you move travel lever.

SSRange selector.jpg

• Like 1

Huffy62
7 hours ago, CTD01 said:

Hi and welcome, I would first check fluid level in the trans. The inspection tube is a clear hose in the rear of the tractor. If you dont have a repair manual for the tractor I believe its in the downloads section of this site. If fluid is full the next step would be to pull the right hand side covers and see if linkage is hooked up and in proper working order. If thats good move you way to the rear of the trans and make sure linkage is all well and good back there. I was going to say check you hi lo and make sure it is engaged but it looks like you already did that.   Do those checks and report back.

The tranny fluid level is OK. I will pull the covers off this weekend to have a look at the linkage. Thank you!

Huffy62
On 3/29/2018 at 9:26 AM, BLT said:

With engine running, does the "Neutral" light do off when you move the lever?

And if you lift tunnel cove up, you should be able to see link, item 26, move back and forth when you move travel lever.

It was the part 26 that needed replaced and all is working now. Thank You!

Edited by Huffy62
  • Like 1