Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CCKA no speed

MPH

Onan CCKA parts manual on ebay, There was a repair manual but i couldn't find it. Maynard aka/UCD[A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2014696365']http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2014696365[/a]

Thanks for that link Dutch, think looking at all the different CCKA -codes might have given me a clue, think someone installed a generator engine in this 4040. My owners manual says I have a CCKA but the left head shroud says I have CCKA-MS, maybe meaning marine serve, ie for a generator governed at 1800rpm. The inside of the tin work on mine is also a green simialr to the Deuz green, futur making me wonder if this tractor left the facory with this engine..Any thought of enlightment would go a long way..Thanks..MPH

MPH, The "MS" indicates electric start. That is the correct designation for your tractor. As for your governor, I don't know. I can copy my manuals and send them to you if you email me your address. Paul

Thanks for the 'good' news Paul, starting to think maybe there was a reason the guy I got it from left it sitting in the snow bank. By adjusting the governor to carb rod I got it up to 2800, tried getting more outta it but then it wouldn't idle, tried replacing the spring to throttle cable with a wire and it just moves the throttle level back toward slow, really wanted to try the blade out today and see if it works, got plenty of snow left around to play in..MPH

I think the green you're seeing is the original green that Onan painted their generators. Kind of a light metallic green like a 70's Plymouth.?? or some odd car. Can't really think of a better description.???? Maybe both of you have a old generator engine. Sandy

try as I may, I still can't get my onan to rev up. With a stronger spring on the throttle link it'll come up to about 2200 but "cavitates" really fighting the spring to return to an idle. Thinking I must have internal governor problem of some sort but yet to find a place to get manuals for an onan. Any long time owners advice??Thanks...MPH

Onan major service and parts list manual for the model ccka-ms/2026G[A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2015450319'][img src='http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_3be93ab0ed110589ac3d7ad137/i-1.JPG'][/a]

They're all (Onan's) a greenish yellow color. Look inside your blower housing, etc. They just painted the outside black - I think the green/yellow was the primer that they used. MPH - get the Onan service manual and it will be a big help. I think your problem may be carburetion. I hope I don't offend anyone - but, in my experience - those Marvin Schreiber carburetors (used on the CCKA's) are not very good. They seem to starve the engine for fuel. May even be worse than the carburetors used on the old Tecumseh engines - no, nothing's that bad. If you ever get the opportunity - do yourself a favor, and pick up the carburetor (Zenith sidedraft), intake manifold, airbox and governor parts from the CCKB engine. Bolt these parts on your CCKA and you'll be light years ahead. Plus, you'll gain an additional 3 hp. A much, much better set-up IMHO. Case in point: the downdraft carburetor set-up lasted one year (1972), and the side draft carburetor was used for the remaining nine years of production (1973-1981). I made the swap on my 4040 - and you can't believe the difference. 3 hp doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm here to tell you, it makes a huge difference. Especially noticeable when mowing up hills - that 60" mower deck takes a lot of power to operate properly. I was told a few years back that the only difference between the CCKA vs. CCKB is that the CCKB used more fuel. Well, the CCKB does use more fuel, but the power/torque gain is well worth it. I suppose if your yard is perfectly flat, and you're not using a mower, brush hog or other ground engaging implements, the CCKA works just fine (if you can get the carburetor working well). Again, all of this is just my opinion. I can hear the back-lash now from all the 4040/616 owners. Jeff