Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116h restore has finally began!

hurleyii

Well I've finally got all the paint so I'm ready to begin and me and the boy have started tractors tear down.  Any upgrade suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

20180401_151916.jpg

Dash battey tray thing is rough. Kinda worried about it but I've learned to braze steel so no big deal. Actually considering doing my axle upgrade with brazing and any deck repairs I have.

14 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Poorman's power steering (thrust washers) upgrade

Front axle upgrade is very high in my list along with a right hand strong arm lift . 

I've seen a setup where one of our members extended the front axle along with a member added a front brace to the axle to help stop twisting . Axle twist has always been my number one complaint with the Simplicity tractors.  So it's my intention to build and weld a  front brace to the frame for front axle, and add poor man' s power steering upgrade.   Ok more research is coming up with dead end articles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'l post a pic of one of the articles I tried opening.

Concerns I have with front axle brace!   It can't interfere with my Electric PTO for the Snow blower. I'm installing a Briggs Vanguard 23hp from a Cub Cadet 2500 series.

I'm also going to have to figure something out for a Muffler as I'm guessing the existing muffler  is not gonna work. 

Current Status Update! 

Came home  and did a little more work on it. Hydro hose for lift is ready to blow from rubbing on frame. Need new one or one in really good shape that' not leaking! Suggestions on New supply availability? 

Screenshot_20180402-115823.png

It sounds like you're having trouble opening past posts via links from posts written before the site changed software.

Sometimes if you replace the ".com" with ".net", the link will work.  Or you have to search for it by using the "search" feature of the new site.

Here are links to a couple posts I think you're looking for about the Sovereign front end:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/9841-front-end-rebuild-pictures/

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/42538-front-axle-support-bracket/

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/23550-front-axle-wishbone-greasable-rear-pivot/

• Like 1

Hello, I built a muffler  when I repowered my sovereign with a briggs  vanguard

Thanks ken in Mi

muffler1.jpg..jpg

muffler3.jpg.7e5ad9011bd0b3146d4b411ac56d7b99.jpg

muffler2.jpg.88238c70ab59860d663fb32727e2245e.jpg

Edited by maxwood

2 hours ago, maxwood said:

Thanks ken in Mi

muffler1.jpg..jpg

That' exactly what I was looking for. How did that work out for you?

I was thinking of designing one like a silencer. I want it to be as quite as possible. 

Edited by hurleyii

Hello, I also built one for my predator powered sovereign.  The predator muffler is too wide for the sovereign hood 

I went to the local muffler shop and got a piece of 4 inch muffler pipe .the owner was nice and only charged me $10 for 18 inch long piece 

Thanks Ken in Mi

IMG_1881.JPG.3c40634d8a519d23903a6a0fbf83e233.jpg

Edited by maxwood
additional info

Has anybody ever tried to line there muffler with a steel wool of some sort? I'e herd that a lot of car mufflers are packed with it some how.

12 hours ago, maxwood said:

Thanks ken in Mi

muffler1.jpg..jpg

Sweet fab job.

Before I started this project I looked at how mufflers were designed ,and the theory of sound dispersal. The exhaust flows into the end compartments and then into the center chamber bouncing around losing sound energy as it goes through the muffler. Some tractor mufflers don't have a center chamber and work well. 

Steel wool may rust and fall apart after time and may blow out the end .

Thanks Ken in Mi

These are all great guys. I' not sure I can machine a front axle setup like that but awsome! Thanks for all the help. 

On 4/2/2018 at 8:21 PM, maxwood said:

Hello, I also built one for my predator powered sovereign.

And did a mighty fine job I might add.  Carry on!!

Got the rest of the parts off front half except axle, and pulled the donor tractor in to pull the engine and start fitting for the 21hp Vangaurd! 

20180407_181446.jpg

20180407_211349.jpg

Here is the Vangaurd sitting in the tractor.  Suggestions for the oil cooler and oil filter relocation kit, (Where can I purchase it)?

20180407_234426.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is the latest update. I'e had a slight setback as the driveshaft part for a Kohler Command doesn't work at all. I think I will be modify the Cub Cadet driveshaft to hook up to the Simplicity.  As for the oil filter location issue I found a relocation kit on Amazon holy dollars.  This engine conversion is starting to get more and more expensive. I hope the lower noise and less vibration will make it worth it. Im still not sure what to do witb my oil cooler issue. I think i may end up notching the frame just a tad for it to fit. Since I need cash for some of these engine conversion parts I'm off to getting into the rear half of the tractor and the BGB as I have the money to rebuild that saved up. Here's a couple pics for you guys!

20180418_191601.jpg

20180418_191612.jpg