Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bigstone

Simplicity 7016 fire up

Bigstone

I'm puttying the briggs 16HP engine back in the  donor 7016H so I can test the the rear end and hydro before I put in on a 917H allis to replace the busted rear axle.  But when I put gas in the gas tank it leaked either from the hose connected to the gas tank or it the gas tank.  Do you need to remove the dash to get the tank out or is there an easier way? I don't have the engine totally mounted so maybe I should just remove the engine.  What do you think?

Dave

simplewrench

Removing the dash is the best and easiest maybe even the only way. Seems to me I have gotten them out with the dash in place but I forget a lot of things. 

MikeES

I have posted this before, but this is what I do with all of my (11) large frame tractors shortly after I have acquired them.  I cut a slot in the saddle where the gas tank sits.  You can then easily remove the gas tank anytime without disconnecting the gas line.

Makes it easy to clean out behind the dash, adjust throttle, clean up corrosion from the battery, check wiring etc.   Just remove the rubber straps and slide/lift the gas tank out of the way and set it on the engine. 

Otherwise you will drive yourself nuts trying to remove/reinstall the gas line from the tank, even if you cut the gas line, you still need to remove the dash. 

BTW that cut does not weaken anything, you can still stand on it and it doesn't even flex.

TRgascut1.jpg

TRgascut2.jpg

TRgascut3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2