Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Hubnut

Gas in oil?

Hubnut

I fired up my AC314H over the weekend and about 4 minutes into the run it started throwing oil off the front pulley and smoking like crazy!  I let it cool and noticed all the gas had drained into the crankcase.  I changed the oil.  Is this a carb problem?  I have a shut off valve on the fuel tank which I will start closing while not in use.  I guess I should change the oil again after running it a bit. 

SmilinSam

I would tend to suspect the fuel pump given its a single cylinder K series kohler, though I could be wrong.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

MARK (LI)

I have been hearing about a lot of people on this and other forums having this problem...and mostly wit Kohlers...usually the seat for the needle valve has gone bad and allows the fuel to pass into the engine...I had it happen to me with a 12.5 on a John Deere that I had...i walked into my shed one morning and there was what I thought was oil on the floor...I went to start the engine and it started spitting out of the muffler all over the inside of the front tire...the engine did start and I turned it off...when I opened up the air cleaner I could actually see the gas running through the carb......I rebuilt the carb and it ran fine after that...someone told me to make sure that got that old valve seat out and to replace that

and yes be sure to drain the oil and new filter...I used compressed air to blow it out and put some small amounts of oil into the engine a few imes  and let it drain out before filling it and running it....good luck

fishnwiz

I work on a bunch of mowers throughout the year and see this all the time. I am surprised more people don't blowup their engines.

Edited by fishnwiz

Talntedmrgreen

It's always been a surprise to me that folks will dread the Briggs singles because they may leak fuel on the floor, but things don't seem as bothersome with the Kohlers doing the same thing...despite the fact that they fill the crankcase vs the floor.  I've replaced several rear seals on KT's and pumps on nearly every K single I have had because they do this.  I've found a couple Onan's to do it as well.  I remedy it with a fuel shutoff.  

• Like 1

PhanDad
1 hour ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

It's always been a surprise to me that folks will dread the Briggs singles because they may leak fuel on the floor, but things don't seem as bothersome with the Kohlers doing the same thing

I agree.  

Maybe it's the "smell" factor from the better half?  I know if I forget to close the shutoff valve and the "dreaded stink" works it way from the attached "shed" into the main garage where my wife's car is parked, I hear about it.  

I guess if I look on the bright side, I don't lose too much gas to the floor.  sm01

• Haha 1

fishnwiz
2 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

What do you usually find to be the cause?

Sometimes the floats level is bad,sometimes the needle valve is bad. Sometimes both. Other causes I have seen is parking tractor on uneven ground. 

MARK (LI)

I am on 3 different tractor forums ( most of you are likely on more than that) ..and see this as a pretty common, frequent problem...it comes up a lot...I had never imagined it until I experienced it myself

Angry Bear

Some of you may remember my Sunstar with the Kohler M20 was doing it when I got it. Fuel shutoff solved it. Now I just have to remind myself to shut it off!  

dince

Same problem with a Kohler on my wood splitter.  Fuel fills up the cylinder above the piston and I cannot turn the engine over (rope start).  Turning the fuel off is the solution, but given my memory status....... !

Bear

I have a ch25 command leaks fuel in crankcase.. Changed oil 5 times finally took carb off found tip on needle broke off.. Put in new one runs great now.For my peace of mind put in shut valve.

• Like 3